Removing a Mk11 Propane locker insert.

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Fisher

I am in the process of replacing the propane solenoid in my 2000 Mk11. To complete the removal I need to extract the complete starboard locker insert so I can get to the screws that mount the solenoid base to the insert.
I have removed the screws from around the locker insert in the rear propane storage hatch, and need direction on how to extract the locker insert without damage.
Should I attempt to lever this out, at the risk of breaking the insert rim, or should I attempt to budge the entire unit with a hammer or mallet?
I will be very grateful for your informed advice.

Ross
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Mick Laver

Hi Ross
I'm sorry I can't answer your question. In truth, I've been lurking to see if someone else posted an answer since I've recently been contemplating the same surgery. I thought I had to find/create a path to the forward pushpit base on the starboard side. Turns out I don't (at least I don't think so.)

Were you able to remove the liner, and if so how? Thanks.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

John Langford

I changed my solenoid on my 1999 MK II a couple of years ago without removing the bin itself. It was straightforward but I will be damned if I can remember whether I had an access issue. I will have a look and see if that jogs my memory.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ross Fisher

In answer to Mick, no, I have not yet removed the insert and can't offer any ideas as yet.
Input from John Langford suggests that some Solenoids were bolted through the liner(insert), and some were not, in which case the swap out is relatively straight forward.
Because I am dealing with gas line jointing, I want clear access and visibility to the job.

Ross
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia