Backing for deck cleats - Mk II

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

Hi All,
Some recent events have prompted me to check the integrity of my deck cleats. I've already put backing plates on all my stanchions, but for some reason just figured the cleats were OK. (After all, they're designed to be able to hang the boat, right? At least hanging from a dock when grounded at low tide.) The aft cleats do have backing plates of sorts, but I'd be happier if the plates covered the entire footprint of the cleat. However, the forward cleats only have fenders and lock washers. Since these are the cleats I hang my anchor bridle from they could conceivably come under substantial load. I've attached pictures of both below.

After some discussion with Warren, the very helpful tech support guy at Catalina, he suggested that either the forward cleats were secured with a glassed-in backing plate through which the bolts are threaded or the engineers at the time had felt that the fender washer arrangement was enough. These are Herreshoffs so the load is a bit more distributed. I suggested putting a couple of 4" Beckson plates in the chain locker so I could put true backing plates on the forward cleats, but he didn't feel it was worth the effort as he knew of none that had failed.

Anyway, I'm curious if and how other Mk II owners have approached this. Thanks.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

mregan

I've got an MKI and when I added 2 bow cleats to the original center bow cleat I put backing plates underneath.  I did the same as you mentioned and cut in some Beckson plates to get access.  I also put a plate under the center anchor cleat.  I just feel better knowing the plates are on there.  Not sure if you need them but it didn't cost much to do them and I think the peace of mind is worth it.

Ron Hill

Mick : You really can't go to fender washers as 2 of the bolts are too close to the hull.  That's why Catalina used regular washers.

Most owners have added extra 4" Beckson plates - especially the MKI owners.  Just watch out for the running light wiring!!

Best would be for a backing plate that covers the entire 4 bolt footprint.  You'd probably have to measure and make each individually!!
You would get added holding if you added fender washers to the 2 inside bolts, but make sure that those fender washers are of the "thick" not thin verity! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788