Anchor Light

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Does anyone know which replacement bulb(want to put a LED on the anchor light) I have in my original anchor light?
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on January 29, 2015, 12:05:39 PM
Does anyone know which replacement bulb(want to put a LED on the Mast) I have in my original mast anchor light?
Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

Your anchor light bulb "should be" a festoon type w/ female dimples (for an AquaSignal anchor light.) 
http://store.marinebeam.com/44mm-festoon-led-navigation-light-dimpled-barrel-end-aqua-signal-type/

If you have an Perko or Hella lamp, then it's a male dimple festoon.

Ken K

Oh BTW -- just to be precise -- a "masthead light" is what we all commonly refer to as our "steaming light."  i.e., a "mast" in USCG parlance has nothing to do with a sailboat mast.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Paul : I'm sure that you have the flush 1/2 dome anchor light on top of you mast. If so, it takes the bayonet type bulb which I believe is a single base contact.

If you can I'd make sure by going up there and checking if you have the single base or double base contact.

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Paulo : Here's another thing to think about.
I'm sure that the 1/2 dome is probably crazes and also needs replacing - if it's the factory original.   Look at WM, Defender are online to find a new dome.

MY thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Cold here in Michigan.  Has anyone replaced the anchor light?  Do not really want to go up twice?  I think there was a discussion on this earlier.  Will try and find it.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ralph Masters

I replaced mine with an AquaSignal Series 25 mounted on a 2 inch mount so it can more easily be seen.  I replaced the standard bulb with an LED when I mounted the light on top of the mast. If you stand on the bow you can see the light, so I know approaching boats should be able to see it too.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Paul : Do as Ralph suggested and just get a new Aqua Signal 25 fixture. 
The half dome anchor light fixture that you have can't be seen when close to the boat where as the Aqua signal stand up and is a good fixture.

If your fixture is original I can guarantee you that it is severely crazed and could even be cracked!!

Another thought
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

I had the original little dome light on my boat.  I could always find my boat, it was the dimmest anchor light of the group. I replace the fixture with a new one "Whitecap Masthead Navigation Light" that was $13 from Defender.  Bought a 360 LED light, I think it was the GE 90 star.  The LED was a little too tall to fit under the dome so I made an extension spacer from starboard. Now my anchor light is the brightest of most boat anchored and when I turn it on, I can't hardly detect my amp meter even move.

Steve