Used Sail Dimensions

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

I have an opportunity to purchase a used sail in good condition, however, it's measurements don't quite match the specs in the Catalina owners manual.  My question is can I still use it?  It has hank-on clips but I have a roller furling.  Below are it's dimensions.

Luff       Leach     Foot
               40'         34.5       23.24

Catalina spec dimensions for my 1989 MKI are...

Luff       Leach     Foot
110%         37.83     33.83     16.5
130%         44.00     40.00     19.33
150% Furl   42.33     41.66     21.33

Stu Jackson

The leach and foot dimensions don't make any difference, all they will give you is the LP in real % of the sail perpendicular to the luff.  Simple trigonometry.

The only thing of consideration is the luff length.  Many boats have high furling drums (I do) so the luff length is VERY important.  Only YOU can tell what you have on YOUR boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Just a suggestion.  Get a quote from a sail maker to add the luff tape and sun protection.   The used sail may not be a good deal with the added cost.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Mark : Over the years I had two 150% genoas made .  One had an "I" (luff) dimension of 44ft and the second was 43.5 ft.

It sounds like your used sails are for a C30.  From the size it sounds like you'll have about a 100% genoa on a C34.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788