Heat Exchanger-Mr Cool !

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Experience with Mr Cool?
They say they make their own for 7 yrs running and never had a legit return of a part
Copper and nickel
Only 359 and Catalina Owners replacement brand is 459 or more

Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

mark_53

I bought a Mr. Cool last year.  I was amazed that it was delivered the next day!  Working just fine and the price was very reasonable.  Has my recommendation.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: mark_53 on January 27, 2015, 08:14:55 AM
I bought a Mr. Cool last year.  I was amazed that it was delivered the next day!  Working just fine and the price was very reasonable.  Has my recommendation.

Cliff,

I've supplied Hxs for Westerbeke and Universal engines for about 20 yrs so I know the goods and the not so goods -- so just a few points of truthful information:

Mr. Cool doesn't manufacture anything.  It's replacement Hxs for all Universal and Westerbeke engines are manufactured at SeaKamp Engineering, in Bellingham, Wa.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84838260&v=XuvxqBjf7IM&x-yt-ts=1422327029
They are reliable and well made, and both are pretty good companies to deal with, although I naturally buy directly from Seakamp (so I have no experience with Mr. Cool as a buyer.)

Go2Marine (also in Wa) additionally carries SeaKamp -- I believe the Cu-Ni model is 336 boat bucks with "free" ground shipping. I have no idea how they do that (dealer cost is 312!)  G2M will likely drop ship it from SeaKamp.

If you are in salt, the Copper-Nickle Hx is necessary, if fresh water - not so much.  The price difference is about 30 boat bucks.

Cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

crieders

Seemed strange to me that Mr Cool claimed they carry SeaKamp and the unnamed brand that he would not disclose. I explained that I wanted to know the mfg of anything that I purchased but he would not tell me the price of the lower priced heat exchanges. All seemed very odd to me
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KWKloeber

Quote from: crieders on February 03, 2015, 04:39:52 AM
Seemed strange to me that Mr Cool claimed they carry SeaKamp and the unnamed brand that he would not disclose. I explained that I wanted to know the mfg of anything that I purchased but he would not tell me the price of the lower priced heat exchanges. All seemed very odd to me

It's simply survival.  Someone sells the lower priced brand one the 'net for less, and he doesn't want you searching for it.
I wouldn't go with anything except SeaKamp - that's the only brand I'll sell because Kathy stands behind everything that goes out their door.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain