EZ-Glide system a side deck hazard?

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

I know there are already a lot of positive threads regarding the Garhauer EZ Glide adjustable lead car system and I am thinking of purchasing it for my 1990 boat, which has recessed tracks. However, I am a bit worried about adding "something else" to trip over on the side decks. Am I crazy? Unfortunately, an annoying recent vision issue has left me blind in one eye...so scrambling around the deck is a bit more challenging now. And, my wife/crew, while trying very hard, is still a landlubber, and not very surefooted. Although don't plan to race, I do appreciate a well-trimmed/well-shaped jib. What do you think, is EZ Glide the way to go? Any issues with deck clutter?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Clay Greene

I don't think it is much more in the way than a traditional fairlead with a line running through it. There is additional hardware to avoid but it is on the track and that is not something you want to particularly want to walk on anyway.  There is more clutter in that you need to do something with the adjustment line. 

If you get the cleat for the aft end of the system, make sure you tell Mark Felgenhauer at Garhauer that you have a C34 and need to have that cleat welded in a fixed position.  Otherwise, it will come from Garhauer on a swivel and it will chew up the gelcoat on your coaming.  I mentioned this to him at Strictly Sail Chicago and he is aware of the problem. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin