Connecting a Chartplotter

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

This spring I will be installing a new Garmin 741xs. As part of that installation, I was going to drop the NMEA0183/power cable down the pedestal and then connecting to a terminal block (using crimp-on spade connectors) somewhere in/near the aft cabin. I will then extend the 8 wires from that terminal to another terminal block near my power distribution panel and my radio.

My question is: Is the use of the terminal block OK as opposed to crimping on butt connectors. I am thinking that the terminal block will allow me to connect multiple items to the power leads using jumpers on the terminal block, and also give me the ability to easily remove a wire if I want to change out a piece of hardware, such as my radio.

If the terminal block is the way to go, can I use a terminal block that I find in Lowe's? The terminal blocks I see on WM or Defender websites look the same as the ones at Lowe's.  All of the locations are protected from the weather, so I was thinking I did not need waterproof fittings. If I do need something different, what do people recommend?

I have looked through the Electrical 101 articles, but these seem to be talking about battery systems. Is there anything on the site for low voltage connections like these?
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SPembleton on January 18, 2015, 11:26:40 AM

1.   If the terminal block is the way to go, can I use a terminal block that I find in Lowe's? The terminal blocks I see on WM or Defender websites look the same as the ones at Lowe's.  All of the locations are protected from the weather, so I was thinking I did not need waterproof fittings. If I do need something different, what do people recommend?

2.  I have looked through the Electrical 101 articles, but these seem to be talking about battery systems. Is there anything on the site for low voltage connections like these?

SP,

1.  If they are made with the same material, sure.  Check Blue Sea literature for the material (primarily the screws and metal connection plates).  If not, spend the extra few $s to get the good ones.  You're spending $1,000 for the equipment, why lose it all with saving $5 for the blocks?

2.  IIRC, there haven't been.

I find terminal strips to be very helpful and used them for my Link 2000 installation, which required around 16 little wires.  The advantage of the terminal strip over butt connectors is that you have a better chance of making the connections on the ring terminal, rather than having a good one on one side of the butt connector and then not having a good one on the other side.  The trick with the little thin wires is to bed them over themselves to thicken them up before you instert the ring terminal body into the crimper.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Steve,
I'll be interested in your installation.  I think it would be worth to call Gamin Tech Service and run some questions by them.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

sailaway

Steve there is a switch on the electric panel marked instruments the wire goes right up to the pedestal I use that for my chartplotter power. Charlie

SPembleton

Thank you all. It is still pretty cold up here now, but after I get to the boat, I will give everyone an update on how it went.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

patrice

Hi,

For the terminal block, what is usually the difference is the material used, and make the price difference.
Both block will be made in plastic, but the screws will be different.
The one from your local hardware will probably be chrome steel, and will rust over time. And the one from WM be in stainless steel for the marine environment..
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

SPembleton

Good to know. THANKS, Patrice.  I do sometimes wonder why marine parts are more expensive.  It is good to know that at least one time there is a reason, other than manufacturers thinking anyone with a boat has alot of money.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall