Engine Mounts for Universal M-35B Engine

Previous topic - Next topic

travlinon

From the huge amount of information gleaned from this forum it appears that the most recommended motor mount for the above motor is the Vetus K50 for front mounts and K75 for rear ( or all), however the original motor mounts have a spacing of 127mm for fixing to stringer whilst the above motor mounts in there specs have only 100mm spacing. Also Ron (in his excellent wiki ) suggested filing out the bracket hole to allow for adjustments where necessary however the current brackets show limited material to do this. Is there an alternative mount that has been used successfully or is it necessary to re drill for the holding down bolts? Any advice much appreciated.

Ken
Ken Edwards
"Catalynne"
2000 C34 #1487 Fin keel
Universal M35B
Mandurah, Western Australia

Ron Hill

Ken : The Vetus engine mounts were originally selected as replacements mounts for the Universal mount for the M25 and M25XP engines.  They not only absorbed substantial engine vibration, but matched the hole footprint (for/aft) of the original factory mounts. 
I suggested elongating (filing) the holes side to side just to give the installer more adjustment so they had it before installing them and finding out that it was needed! (causing removal and then reinstallation)
If you measure and that elongation is not needed then don't do it!

If you are looking for mounts for an M35B engine I'd look at the Vetus K100s, because it is a heavier engine with a heavier transmission. I'm sure there are other brand mounts that will also fit and absorb engine vibration.  You just have to look at mounts and measure.

Good luck.   
Ron, Apache #788

Peter Taylor

Ken

Why not consider installing the OEM mounts which bolt straight in as designed. They are available in Australia, as I purchased a set for my C36 after I ran over a mooring line and nearly pulled the engine off the original mounts.

You may be able to get them cheaper in the US but shipping might be expensive. Listed in the usual Universal Diesel parts suppliers catalogues as "Isolators".
Might be simpler.

Peter Taylor
Altair
2005 C36 Mk 11
Melbourne Australia

travlinon

Thanks for the replies
Ron
I should of realised the mounts suggested were for the M25 motors 😚 . Looking at the Vetus K100 species the mounting holes are shown as 100mm apart and not 127mm as on my mounts. I am currently looking at Polyflex mounts (Australian made) to see if I can get some for a direct fit otherwise I will have to look at filling and re- drilling holes for the Vetus mounts which does not look an easy job.

Peter
I checked on the OEM universal parts however the cost from US suppliers was to the order of $US200 which would equate to about $A230 EACH not including postage. I haven't been able to find an Australian supplier however and wonder if you can recall who you purchased yours thru. The Vetus brackets were cheaper here than what I could get from US , about $A71
Ken Edwards
"Catalynne"
2000 C34 #1487 Fin keel
Universal M35B

Peter Taylor

Ken
I bought them from Marine Energy Systems based in Queensland. They are one of the Westerbeke/Universal agents in Australia. Can't remember the price but not cheap. Mind was an insurance claim which eased the pain somewhat.

Peter
Peter Taylor
Altair
2005 C36 Mk 11
Melbourne Australia

travlinon

Peter
Thanks, I will give them a try particularly as I'm not having much luck with polyflex couplings.
Ken Edwards
"Catalynne"
2000 C34 #1487 Fin keel
Universal M35B