Inverter Installation

Previous topic - Next topic

kss1220

I am about to install a Pure Sine type 1500watt inverter on my C34 1997. I am looking for some suggestions on hard wiring the 120volt output into the outlets in the galley and Head.  I am concerned about wiring directly to the Catalina internal system as when the shore power is hooked up it could possibly send the power back into the Inverter and cause damage.  The inverter has no internal switch to accommodate this situation as it is strictly a inverter and not a dual charger/inverter like other models.  Has anyone had any experience with this type of arrangement?

Kelly

Stu Jackson

INVERTER AND SHOREPOWER WIRING

Kelly:

They simply don't mix.  If you read the instructions with your inverter, it clearly says you must use a transfer switch to avoid EVER having both the shorepower and inverter output (AC side) on at the same time, even if the inverter is off.  This, of course, is only if you hardwire the inverter to the boat's AC.  If you just use the duplex outlets on the inverter, not a problem.  But why buy an inverter and then have to run expansion cords through the cabin, right?

Jon Arck and I recently installed one on his boat.  Jon bought, and we installed, a Blue Seas System AC source switch.  I believe it is their model number 8132 [corrected: 8032].  We mounted it in a new hole in the fiberglass just below the nav station seat, where it was easy to wire.

This switch has two positions with a slide on it that makes it impossible to have both sources of A.C. (i.e., the inverter from the batteries and the shorepower) on at the same time.  One switch position connects to the shorepower input, and the other to the inverter AC input.  The output of the switch goes to the house AC breaker and thus the boat's A.C. wiring.  It's very simple, foolproof, and based on the instructions in your inverter manual, ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, ESSENTIAL, REQUIRED, and mom and apple pie and all that.

Please do not install your inverter without this switch.  It's not worth frying the inverter to save $139 on the switch.  You could also make up your own set of switches, depends on how "electrically challenged" you are.

[added Oct. 2, 2013 - newer standalone inverters have been shipping with built-in ATSs.  Please BUY CAREFULLY. - Stu]

BTW, Jon chose to mount his inverter under the nav station.  It is out of sight, but accessible, and easily wired.

Don't forget to make a wiring diagram before, during and after your work to assure you connect everything properly and that you understand what's going on.

Also with "just" an inverter (as compared to an inverter/charger combo unit), you MUST either make a mental or physical note to turn the charger breaker off whenever the inverter is on.  Many people are so accustomed to leaving their chargers on when hooked to shorepower that they could forget to even use the charger breaker at all.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

BLUE SEAS SYSTEM SWITCH

I BELIEVE THE CORRECT PART NUMBER FOR THE SWITCH IS 8032.

One is a double 16 amp switch, the other is a double 30 amp.  Same concept.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."