Fuel Line Hose Recommendations

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

I plan on replacing my fuel hoses this winter. Shanagolden has 1986 25M Universal engine. What size hose and brand recommendations would be most appreciated.

Ron Hill

shan : I surely hope that the fuel line that you are replacing is not the factory original!?!

We have had some lengthy discussions on this very topic.  
The main supply line from the tank to the Racor filter, lift pump and then to the engine is 3/8" inside dia. and the fuel return line is 1/4" diameter.

When dealing with anything diesel do NOT assume that because it's gasoline rated that it can also handle diesel!!   It must be diesel rated!!

I'll let you do your homework on the J1527 A1, A2, etc. specs.  You can determine if the length of time that that line can be in an open flame is truly meaningful vrs. cost.  You might want to talk to Gates Rubber Company customer service for some great starter information.

Some food for thought!  

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: shanagolden on December 29, 2014, 11:37:29 AM
I plan on replacing my fuel hoses this winter. Shanagolden has 1986 25M Universal engine. What size hose and brand recommendations would be most appreciated.

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 29, 2014, 03:17:50 PM
shan : I surely hope that the fuel line that you are replacing is not the factory original!?!

We have had some lengthy discussions on this very topic.  
The main supply line from the tank to the Racor filter, lift pump and then to the engine is 3/8" inside dia. and the fuel return line is 1/4" diameter.

When dealing with anything diesel do NOT assume that because it's gasoline rated that it can also handle diesel!!   It must be diesel rated!!

I'll let you do your homework on the J1527 A1, A2, etc. specs.  You can determine if the length of time that that line can be in an open flame is truly meaningful vrs. cost.  You might want to talk to Gates Rubber Company customer service for some great starter information.

Some food for thought!  

Why not just use Shields 368 fuel delivery/vent hose made for that?
It may be more $$ per foot than non-USCG rated you might be able to find from NAPA or wherever else, but it's not that great a length and so won't break anyone's bank.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

shanagolden

thank you for your responses. Too cold up here in Boston to work on the boat this weekend (25 degrees).