Haul Out Suggestions?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Sutherland

Hi All, I'm hauling my boat out for the first time since I've owned it for a bottom paint job.  Because I have VERY little spare time for repeat haul-outs, and down time, I like to fix or replace anything that is suspect, or near the end of it's life cycle, whenever I'm already paying someone to be working on a specific area on the boat.  I think this is a pretty good practice, especially when I don't know the age of many of the components on my boat.  That said, is there anything you think I should pay special attention to or that I would want replaced while I've gone to the time and expense to do the bottom job?  Should I have moving the parts of the rudder replaced (bushings, etc)?  Should I replace the cutlass bearing?  I appreciate the advice.  Merry Christmas Everyone!
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Noah

Obvisiously, things do eventually wear out. However, it's a bit hard to anticipate or know exactly what, prior to an out-of-water inspection, without experiencing/reporting any symptoms.  I plan to haul out in February and have a few projects on my list (with parts stashed) including installing a new stainless rudder post cap, a new Flex-o-fold 3-blade prop and new cutless bearing. I also plan to fix some small gel coat blisters I've had my eye on. Anything else remains to be seen...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

If you had a survey done when you bought the boat the condition of the rudder and cutless bearing should have been noted.  If you didn't have a survey, or the surveyor didn't give a condition, and you don't feel any vibration, I don't think you need to plan on changing them.  Just check them and note the play, if any.  If properly aligned they last a long time. 
The only thing that almost certainly needs replaced is the shaft zink.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Good point about zincs. But waiting between haul-outs to change zincs is too long (for me anyway). I have my hull "cleaned" monthly by a diver, who checks zincs and changes as needed. Changed twice this year.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Craig Illman

Lube the thruhulls, maybe replace the packing in the stuffing box, depending on what's there already. Both can be done in the water, but you can maybe not be rushed or be more thorough.

ci

John Langford

Or, if you have a shaft seal, replacing the bellows might be a possibility. Also, if you don't have a zinc on your strut I would drill a hole and put on a 3" clamshell zinc.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

KWKloeber

Mark,

Replacement of mechanicals mostly depend on usage/hours -- for instance, a cutlass isn't typically replaced due to age, but due to wear (i.e., hours.)  Ditto for experiencing slop in the rudder post, prop shaft and rudder stuffing box wear (replacing with PTFE packing,) etc.  

Standing rigging is obviously key, and probably due for a professional inspection. Mast wiring as well.

It might help to assess it, if we knew how long have you have had her and what was done to her by PO (both in terms of maintenance and abuse)?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Mark : Think "water line and below".  
If the cutless hasn't been replaced in the past 6+ years I'd replace it.  Look at the strut and make sure it's exterior caulk is OK.  I'd think about dropping the rudder down and resealing the area where the stainless column enters the layup (see WiKi).  Lube thru hulls from the outside.  Check the condition of all the thru hulls and replace as necessary.  Look at the anchor well drain for possible replacement.  Check the Zn's

Don't hurry yourself to try and save one days worth of land storage !!  

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788