Triducers

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

I am going to be installing a Garmin 741xs Chartplotter and a NMEA 2000 backbone. I will therefore have to replace my current speed and depth transducers (Old Datamarine). I am considering an Airmar DST 800 Triducer (Depth, Speed and Temp in one transducer). Has anyone had experience with these. Do they work as well as having separate tranducers?
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

waterdog

I installed one five years and ~7000 miles ago.   Integration was totally seamless as I recall.   It just appeared on the network and produced the data.    It has been reasonably trouble free.   I would recommend it.   

Though last season I had no temperature data.    I have not investigated why.   But perhaps I would need to replace a depth and speed sensor to regain temperature?    That is the downside of the obvious benefit of having fewer holes in the hull and fewer sensors/instruments to integrate.   I think it is probably worth the tradeoff.

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

SPembleton

Thank you Waterdog.

BTW- Why would you want a temp sensor? Is it just for fishing, or to give you a warning before you jump in?
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Ted Pounds

It's also useful if you're crossing the Gulf Stream...   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

waterdog

Steve I would say that in the area I sail in we have tidal currents to 14 knots+, water temperature can go from 55 degrees to 80 degrees within a few miles, and an indication of water temperature can be navigationally informative.    But such a statement would be BS.    I have water temperature because it came with the triducer and it is just another cool piece of data to see on the plotter.    And I am not getting in when the temp is in the 60s!   

What I do use all the time is the water speed vs. the GPS speed.   We pretty much always have a knot or two of current and it is good to know what it is going on.
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Footloose

Like Waterdog, I use my temperature sensor to decide when to swim.  It reduces the shrinkage!
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Bill Asbury

Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

waterdog

If you are using a good sealant, shrinkage shouldn't be a problem.  
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat