XPB Thermostat source?

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Has anyone located an aftermarket Tstat (both 180F and 160F) for the XPB?

Again this is not the XP which take a different TStat.

Stu, I thought you had added the XP engine Tstat X-references to the Wiki, but I can't locate them under engine > cooling.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : If you want a thermostat for an XPB, just ask the Kubota dealer for one for F2400 or F2560 tractor engine!!
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ron,

I'm not sure that would work.

Westerbeke changed the thermostat size after a serial number break.  Trying would trial/error, but doable.

But the main question is I am looking for a 160F thermostat and tractors don't run at 160F!

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Ken : My M25XPB (2009) came with a 160 degree thermostat. 
However, it was set up for a temperature switch rather than a sender. So left the switch probe in place and added a sender from a D950 block.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 13, 2014, 02:58:13 PM
Ken : My M25XPB (2009) came with a 160 degree thermostat. 
However, it was set up for a temperature switch rather than a sender. So left the switch probe in place and added a sender from a D950 block.

A thought

Ron,

That's VERY odd.  Both a Hi Temp switch and a Temp Gauge sender was OEM on the XPBs.
Didn't you have a temp gauge on your panel?

Yes "all" XPBs come with a 160F, but that's not an OEM Kb Tstat (or at least haven't yet located a Kb part number for a 160F.) That's the Universal "marinized" substitute.  On tractors, Kb's Tstats are 180F.

Do you have any knowledge why Wb changed from the 1/4" NPT temp sender (M25 / XPs) to the 1/8" NPT sender and used a reducing bushing?  Seems strange -- only thing I can think is, owners found the sources for the 1/4" senders, and Wb trying to re-monopolize, switched to the 1/8" NPT.

Was your gauge sender from a D960 block (tractor) or from an XP engine? 
I am thinking that the Kb tractor senders = the Wb/Universal/Teleflex/Vee Three/Sierra senders.

Ken

Roland Gendreau

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 12, 2014, 09:45:26 AM

Again, an aftermarket Tstat (160F) for the XPB.
Not the OEM $53.30 Wb Tstat or the marked up $54.40 CD Tstat.

Ken K

Ron Hill

Ken : On my 2009 M25XPB the only temp item was a switch in the thermostat housing!!

I used the same Catalina panel and yes there was the temp gage.  As I've mentioned a number of times, I wired the entire new engine to match the old M25XP wiring!

I got the new temperature gage sender from the local Kubota dealer!!
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 15, 2014, 09:44:49 AM
Ken : On my 2009 M25XPB the only temp item was a switch in the thermostat housing!!

I used the same Catalina panel and yes there was the temp gage.  As I've mentioned a number of times, I wired the entire new engine to match the old M25XP wiring!

I got the new temperature gage sender from the local Kubota dealer!!

OK, Now I get it!   It was a 1/4" npt gauge sender and it fit ok, no probs? 
(Because the Wb part for the XPB sender is 1/8" npt.)

Ken