Engine compartment insulation

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

OK.. as noted in my engine overheating issue topic, I have now managed to spray the entire engine compartment with green coolant.  The existing insulation materiel is stained and was already in need of replacement. 
What are some choices out there for engine compartment sound and temperature insulation?  Looking for ideas.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jim Hardesty

This worked very well for me reducing the noise from my airconditioner.

http://www.sailorssolutions.com/?page=Products&SubCategoryID=121&SubCategory=Soundproofing&Category=Engine%20Room

They may be too thick for the engine compartment.  Need to measure.  Real easy to do just cut and stick in place.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Kevin : Look in WiKi and then go to you Defender catalog.

You have 1", but I 'd recommend going to 1 1/4" for added sound intuation - see my article in the Mainsheet tech notes on - Changing out the engine compartment insolation.

Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Tancock

This is something I am presently planning on doing because mine is so ratty.
I have local sources for an insulation either with or without lead. Any thoughts about the preferred material? Both need a spray on glue to attach and both sources suggest not using the old screws as that is said to transmit noise....
Any tricks or challenges to anticipate?
Thanks for thoughts...
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ron Hill

Jeff : If you'd read my article? you'd find that I did NOT use any spray adhesive as the factory did.  That article explains what and how I installed it!!

I found that the 1 1/4" thickness had a heavy "plastic" sandwiched in the insulation and the use of the screws (which I modified) were enough to hold the new insulation in place.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Oh Boy!!!
Christmas came early   :clap :clap
:abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau