stanchions

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

Wanted to start the process of clearing up leaky stanchion bases. Any one no off hand what size the nuts below are that need to be removed.
Thanks
Ron

KWKloeber

Quote from: RonE58 on November 10, 2014, 05:31:03 AM
Wanted to start the process of clearing up leaky stanchion bases. Any one no off hand what size the nuts below are that need to be removed.
Thanks
Ron

1/4-20

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lazybone

I would go ahead and get an entire set of sockets.

Just in case...
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Quote from: lazybone on November 10, 2014, 02:04:47 PM
I would go ahead and get an entire set of sockets.

Just in case...

Sometimes deep well sockets, an extender bar or two, and a universal joint come in very handy, too.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 10, 2014, 08:23:18 AM
Quote from: RonE58 on November 10, 2014, 05:31:03 AM
Thanks
Ron

1/4-20

kk

A standard 1/4-20 nut, takes a 7/16" socket.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Roland Gendreau

Since I usually don't have an assistant to help with this task, I buy some new nuts and bring a small pair of vice grips.  I clamp the vice grip on the nut and then use a power screw driver to remove the machine screw. I replace any nuts that get bunged up by the vice grips in the process. 

It's much better to bring an assistant though - otherwise you spend a lot of time moving from the cabin to the deck and back.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ralph Masters

It would be most helpful for this project if you just have a second wrist joint surgically implanted in your forearm too.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ron : Don't even think about stopping/rebedding a leaking stanchion until you go to Garhauer and get yourself some backing plates!  
Give the butyl rubber a chance - to STAY sealed!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

May want to think about replacing the phillips screws with bolts.  Don't have to worry about a bolt head stripping. 

Jim Hardesty

When I rebedded my stantions I bought a box of button heads.  Similar to
https://www.boltdepot.com/Socket_button_head_Stainless_steel_18-8_1_4-20.aspx

I bought from a local industrial supply house and the price was good.  Just get good stainless and be wary of imported fastners.  I also highly recommend getting the backing plates from Garhauer.

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on November 12, 2014, 10:37:48 AM
When I rebedded my stantions I bought a box of button heads.  Similar to u
https://www.boltdepot.com/Socket_button_head_Stainless_steel_18-8_1_4-20.aspx

I bought from a local industrial supply house and the price was good.  Just get good stainless and be wary of imported fastners.  I also highly recommend getting the backing plates from Garhauer.

Jim

VERY classy.  Good solution -- hex heads on the deck look so gauche!!

(New garhauer stanchions are avail with square holes for carriage bolts) << $$$$$

Ken K

RonE

Great info guys.
I removed all 8 stanchions,  not to bad . I used the same method as Roland. After a day or so I epoxyed all the holes. I was going to leave the stanchions off till the spring. And then back plate them and use the Butyl tape as suggested. I read the article about reinstalling the stanchions.
So Garhauer has the same backing plates as Catalina Direct?
Thanks
Ron

mregan

Yes they do.  Or find a sheetmetal shop to blank some out for you.  Would be much cheaper..

KWKloeber

Quote from: RonE58 on November 13, 2014, 12:17:18 PM
So Garhauer has the same backing plates as Catalina Direct?
Thanks
Ron

No, CD has the same back plates that Garhauer supplies them with.
CD carries or manufactures nothing of their own, and typically doesn't stock much other than fast moving parts -- they are always "special ordering" and then drop ship to customers.

The back up plates are Garhauer item ST-58 BU and are $6.00 (your retail) from GhM or 6.95 from CD.

Wait, a buck more than the mfgr you may ask?

Here's the way it works:  

CD buys them for $4.80, same as I do, but marks them up 45% (they aren't happy with selling parts to us for retail.)
I suppose they figure, if Torreson Marine, a/k/a Marine Diesel Direct, a/k/a Toad can get way with marking up 10% to 15% above what owners can buy parts for on the street, they can do it also.
I usually do 5% to 10% off (not above) retail to any paid up cty assn member, but this isn't a plug to sell them -- because they are currently on sale for $5.40 -- $10% off direct from GhM, thru November.  In fact everything is 10% off this month.

Call Miss Kelly at 909-985-9993, tell her you want excellent service because Ken from Weekend'R Products sent you.  :-)  
I attached the dimensions so you can verify them (there's two slightly different bolt patterns.) The are currently in stock.

Cheers,
Ken

[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]