Black Sludge in fresh water tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

Tried to pump out rear fresh water tank for seasonal decommissioning. No flow. Pump running, but no water at any outlet. Checked the fresh water pump filter on top of the ShurFlo. Never saw such gook before. Black Brown soft sludge or algae. Cleaned and replaced the little filter 5 times. Each time it clogged with the nasty. Finally let the tank run out into the bilge, by passing the pump and filter. Worked long enough to get the pink stuff into tank and piping. Now, any suggestions on how to clean tank free of sludge before Spring. There's no access port on that tank. I think Peggy Hall may have written on this, but I cannot find the article and she is now retired. Appreciate any suggestions or remedies. Thanks all.
Stewart Napoleon
Desiree, Catalina 34 mkll, #1472
Old Greenwich YC
Greenwich, CT
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Stu Jackson

Fresh Water System Recommissioning 101 - Peggie Hall's "Cocktail" http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5836.0.html

You should also consider changing your hoses.  I did it last year, at least from the heater to the head and galley sinks.  My main lines from the tanks to the pump seem OK.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stewartn

Catalina 34 mkll, #1472. Rear water tank has black sludge or algae that is plugging fresh water filter. Any ideas on how to clean tank? There is no inspection port on this rear tank. Think Peggy Hall wrote about it, but she is now retired. Any suggestions or experiences aprreciated.
Stewart Napoleon
Desiree, OGYC (Greenwich, CT)
Hull # 1472
Greenwich, CT

Stewartn

Black slime or algae is clogging fresh water pump filter. This is rear tank on 34 mkll, #1472. There is no inspection port on this tank. Any solutions or suggestions on how to purge the tank of the sludge. All appreciated. Thx.
Stewart Napoleon
Desiree, OGYC
Greenwich, CT
Greenwich, CT

Ralph Masters

I would start by draining all the water out, fill and "super-chlorinate", drain and repeat.  When you fill and chlorinate leave the chlorine sit for at least 7 minutes.
After you get the tank cleaned of "black goo" replace all hoses into and out of the tank.
You have to have an active water management program to keep water moving into and out of your storage tanks.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Stewart : Take Stu's/Peggy's suggestion on how to clean it out in the spring. 

Using spring water with no chlorine?  You'd better figure out how you got into that brown sludge situation this time, so next year it doesn't happen again!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788