Sink Drain Plumbing

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Fred,

I saw your write up of the replacing the sink drain plumbing.
http://blog.koehlmann.ca/marine-maintenance/replace-sinks-drains-in-galley/

I did something similar, except used pc instead of abs, and I dropped the size down right off the baskets, rather than before the hose.
I think I like your idea better -- less chance of back up from one basin into the other when draining.

[attachimg=#]

I often use a trick on PVc and abs when it's not under pressure (waste lines, etc.) that I might need to disassemble.  As you know if there's a bunch of short sections and tees, elbows, etc., it's about impossible to cut/remove a section so that you can maybe unscrew a pipe adaptor or something -- you may need to trash the whole assembly and start from scratch.

The trick is that instead of cement, is to hose clamp a joint at a key location (because pvc and abs is an interference fit anyway), using a strong ABA style or T-bolt.  It's amazing how strong and leak-free the joint becomes and impossible to get apart wile clamped.  I have even used this trick w/ industrials application on a manifold under 20 feet of vacuum with no leaks.

Ken K

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Fred Koehlmann

Interesting, I haven't tried clamping. I'll try it next time. I usually just friction fit the assembly and ensure I'm right before gluing.  :D
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine