What is this?

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

This came with the boat, loose in the cabin. Is it a rigid vang?  I can't find a picture of anything that looks just like it and can't see any brand name written on it.  About 4' long.  Do you think it might be worth anything on ebay?  Seems a shame to throw it out because, whatever it's supposed to do, it seems well made.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Fred Koehlmann

Hi Steve,

It is part of your vang. It's not a rigid vang, since it does compress, but with loads of force. This piece prevents the boom from basically dropping on your head, while the block and line component (which should also have been included) is what you use to pull the boom down with. When you release the vang-line this post pushes the boom back up. That's useful in lighter air when the  boom is to heavy (or air too light) for the conditions to keep your sail shape. I'll see if I have any pictures of ours.

Cheers, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Fred Koehlmann

Turns out I don't actually have a full straight on side shot of the boom-vang, which would be the most helpful. The first shot here shows the vang from the front of the boat.

Fred Koehlmann

This second shot shows a partial view from the side and how it connects to the boom.

Fred Koehlmann

This last shot is from behind the boat. The vang-lines as you can see are under the vang's rod, but run parallel with it (of-course). What you can't see is its connection at the deck. I'm planning to go up to the boat this weekend to put the winter cover on, and part of that is easing the vang so that there is no pressure on it over the winter. I'll see if I can get some better shots of it then.

But definitely, do not sell it. You'll want to make sure you have it!!

Steve_in_lex

Thanks Fred, this is really helpful.

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Fred Koehlmann

As promised, some vang close ups. We were up at the boat this past weekend to close her up and  get her winter cover on. As part of the process, I relieve the stress on the vang, by disconnecting it from the boom and leaving it extended over the winter. Usually I just leave it sitting on a piece of carpet on the deck, but this year we were also storing some kayaks there so I just hung it from the boom.

Fred Koehlmann

Here is the bottom end of the vang at the foot of the mast. The separate block (the loose line going though it) at the bottom of the vang pin, has the line that goes back to the cleat at the cockpit.

Fred Koehlmann

The top of the vang close up. Here you can see how pulling on the vang line compresses the vang post, allowing the boom to lower. There is plenty of strength in the vang post to hold the boom without the topping lift holding it up.

Roc

Hi Fred,
What's that black hose I see in the picture you posted that shows your bimini frame. It runs back to and resting on the stern seats.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Fred Koehlmann

That's the hose for my BBQ [http://blog.koehlmann.ca/boat-projects/barbeque-propane-hook-up/]. We did not like having the little propane canisters, nor did we feel that they were environmentally friendly, since they are not recyclable here. This way we tie into our main propane tank.

Roc

Hi Fred,
Thanks for the link.  Looks like an easy set up.  Out of curiosity....  when you open the valve to feed the BBQ, you are also sending propane to your stove?  Do you purge the lines after you use the BBQ so nothing is going into the stove?  I'm always nervous about using propane!!   :shock:

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Fred Koehlmann

Roc, the tee that branches off to the BBQ is before the solenoid, so no gas goes to the stove, unless you flip the LPG switch inside at the panel. When not using the BBQ, definitely ensure that you have turned it off, so that when you have gas inside, its also not going out outside!  :D And when not using gas in either location just ensure that you also turn it off at the tank.  :thumb:

Then you never leave it on accidentally when you get off-board.