Replacing Fuel Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

Had a fuel polishing/tank cleaning service polish the fuel and supposedly clean the tank in my 1986 #212 original equipment twice over the past year. I am still getting a peanut butter colored goo-like sediment in my Dahl fuel filter separator bowl. Could my tank be corroded ? Had one engine shut down experience with clogged filters. Not looking forward to that again. No fun when it is blowing 30 in a tight mooring field.
Thinking of replacing the tank. Anyone have some helpful hints on the replacement process. Catalina Direct sells a replacement tank. Any recommendations for other tank suppliers.

Thanks,
Shanagolden 

KWKloeber

Are you using any fuel treatment?  when/how often?

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Juul

There are several posts and probably a wiki article about removing and cleaning your tank.  I would  give that a try before I  bought a new one.  Fuel polishing isn't all it is cracked up to be.  I'd try cleaning the tank before I replaced it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jeff Tancock

It sounds like what I dealt with  few years ago. Peanut butter colored goop!
It turned out to be small amounts of water getting into the diesel and some sort of algae growth.
After pulling the tank a couple of times, filtering the fuel, cleaning the tank, etc. etc. it turned out to be water getting into the fuel through the plastic fill cap. There was a small crack in the cap where it received the winch handle to snug/remove.
Replaced with stainless (westmarine) and all is good!
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

KWKloeber

When you did the polishing(s), did you check or replace the p-ring?

Kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

shanagolden

To answer the questions, I have used a fuel conditioner recommended by a diesel mechanic, put a small amount in only at fill ups . Can't remember the product.

The polishing guy went into the tank through the deck fill opening and out the sender opening .

Not sure I know what a "p-ring" is.

Thanks for the comments.

KWKloeber

Oops,

O-ring (deck fill)

Ken. 

Ron Hill

Shan : As Ken said there are a number of articles is WiKi on removing a C34 fuel tank. 
Look in the old Mainsheet tech notes and you'll see the article I wrote on that very topic plus how I cleaned the interior of the tank.

The most probable source of water in the fuel is from a cracked (plastic "winch handle") fuel cap.  Easy to check - remove cap and pour some alcohol in the winch handle indent and see if it leaks out!!

There are also a number of articles on changing out the fuel cap assembly!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

If that's the original tank and there has been water in it before, you might want to just do a new tank. You could have or be close to getting pinhole leaks. Flushing the tank then becomes a wasted expense.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

sailaway

I have 1986 hull 95 my tank was removed and steam cleaned to get rid of the parfin wax build up . I have had no problems sense. Charlie