Spinlock or Lewmar Rope Clutches and what size

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi all...
I would like to upgrade to new rope clutches.  Spinloc and Lewmar seem to be the most talked about.  I would like to know which ones do you like and what size/model works.  Each company has different models that span overlapping line sizes.  I'm going to measure my lines and double check them with the owner's manual.  Going to the boat show and talk to the suppliers, but would like to get people's actual feedback on real life experience.  :thumb:

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roc

I have Garhauer and they are not so good.  Would like to upgrade to something that is easier to lock and unlock. 

KWKloeber

Quote from: Roc on October 08, 2014, 11:04:37 AM
I have Garhauer and they are not so good.  Would like to upgrade to something that is easier to lock and unlock. 

What's the issue with them?  That's the first complaint i have heard.  Wondering because I was thinking of making the switch.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mregan

I just installed a Spinlock XAS double clutch for my mainsheet & main halyard.  It's a bit more compact than the Lewmar single clutch I replaced.

Roc

Garhauer works well at capturing the lines, but they are not easy to operate.  Compare using them with either of the competitors, and you'll see a big difference.  Lewmar and Spinloc much smoother.

Joe Holmes

I am also very happy with Spinlock XAS.  Installed two years ago.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Roc

I see the XAS has different line diameter ranges.  What Model XAS with what line diameter range works best?  Also, anybody with comments on Lewmar?  One thing about Lewmar is the diameter ranges are very small (i.e. small ranges like 1/2" - 9/16).  Where Spinlock has a much broader range.

mregan

I don't remember the model but I think it went up to 1/2" max.  Although 1/2" fits pretty snug.

Clay Greene

I've had both Spinlock and Lewmar clutches and I think Spinlock hold better.  That was the conclusion Practical Sailor reached when they researched rope clutches several years ago.  Keep in mind that if you change manufacturers, you almost certainly will need to drill new holes and to fill the old holes with epoxy.  The rope clutches on our C34 were through-bolted, so I made a backing plate out of starboard to cover the old holes in the cabin liner and to provide extra support. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin