New Boat

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

I'm finishing the purchase of a C30 today. I missed my C34 a lot the past four years, but I had to downsize to fit my budget and retire before I'm 70. Anyway, it's a 1990, hull #5898. I'll still be lurking these parts because this forum (and group) are the best resources on the Internet for these boats. I have a list already of things I want to fix and improve, so I'm going to have a busy winter. I already have Jack H. drafted on Monday to run us up to Blaine from Anacortes for the move to new moorage.  :thumb:

KWKloeber

Quote from: Craig Illman on September 26, 2014, 11:36:22 AM
I'm finishing the purchase of a C30 today. I missed my C34 a lot the past four years, but I had to downsize to fit my budget and retire before I'm 70. Anyway, it's a 1990, hull #5898. I'll still be lurking these parts because this forum (and group) are the best resources on the Internet for these boats. I have a list already of things I want to fix and improve, so I'm going to have a busy winter. I already have Jack H. drafted on Monday to run us up to Blaine from Anacortes for the move to new moorage.  :thumb:

Congratulations Craig,

See you on the flip side over on the C30 forum (besides the email/Yahoo forum, Max is in the process of getting a wiki up and running for Tech and other content. 
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Catalina30/info

Sign up! There's a wealth of material/resources on the Yahoo groups site right now that will get moved to the wiki.

I hope the IC30A website gets a makeover also!
www.catalina30.com

Ken K
#3573 C-30
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Craig Illman

My check is already in the mail to the IC30A and have been on the yahoo group for the past couple weeks.

8)

waterdog

Awesome Craig.  Congratulations! 

Funny how retirement can impact your boat ownership.  I have been thinking about it lately.  My thought was to send Foster off to college and sell our C34.  And the house.   And buy a bigger boat in the Med!   

I think I tried this once before, but Tracey wouldn't let me sell the house so we ended up keeping the C34 and sailing to Mexico.  The retirement was an utter failure for lack of funding, but we sure had fun.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jack Hutteball

I knew we would see Craig back in a Catalina!  Once the bug bites you.... is there anything better?  Good job Craig! :clap

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

Look forward to seeing you in both places, Craig.  Congratulations, and all the best.  Isn't that (MINUS) four foot-itis?!? :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Buying the boat shackles me to employment for another nine to twelve months beyond the twelve months I expected to work. Consider how time flies in one's sixties, it will still be here quickly.

So, maiden voyage yesterday, in a lot of fog from Blaine, WA down to Anacortes. I'm about two thirds the way, motoring solo, light tailwind and the engine dies. Initially thought I was foolish for trusting the fuel gauge, but after Vessel Assist brought me some diesel, it still wouldn't sustain combustion. The Facet pump wasn't clicking anymore, so I believe I have a failed pump. Something new has bubbled to the top of the projects list. I'll troubleshoot it on Friday. The C30 doesn't have that nice, raised fuel tank like your C34 does.

I can't say enough good things about the gentleman from Vessel Assist that towed me about ten miles to my slip yesterday. His skills, professionalism and friendliness were all exemplary. I'm thankful I had the wisdom to subscribe only three days before, never expecting I would have to use their services.

The adventure continues.........

Oh yeah, I managed to sail with the headsail for about five miles before the tow caught up with me, but I never would have been able to get back to the marina as the wind died and the current was about to reverse.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Craig Illman on September 29, 2014, 12:48:32 PM

The Facet pump wasn't clicking anymore, so I believe I have a failed pump. Something new has bubbled to the top of the projects list. I'll troubleshoot it on Friday. The C30 doesn't have that nice, raised fuel tank like your C34 does.

Craig,

Flip over to the C30 discussions, there's a thread going on right now w/ troubleshooting.  Chances are it's not the facet, unless it's >35 -40 years old, and then I'd still spot you solid 5:1 odds it's not.
Check the troubleshooting tips ongoing.  More likely an electrical issue.  Then a blockage.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 29, 2014, 12:58:09 PM
Quote from: Craig Illman on September 29, 2014, 12:48:32 PM

The Facet pump wasn't clicking anymore, so I believe I have a failed pump. Something new has bubbled to the top of the projects list. I'll troubleshoot it on Friday. The C30 doesn't have that nice, raised fuel tank like your C34 does.

Craig,

Flip over to the C30 discussions, there's a thread going on right now w/ troubleshooting.  Chances are it's not the facet, unless it's >35 -40 years old, and then I'd still spot you solid 5:1 odds it's not.
Check the troubleshooting tips ongoing.  More likely an electrical issue.  Then a blockage.

Ken

OH YOU ARE!!  LOL

Ken

Craig Illman

Thanks, Ken.  I saw your thread over there. Checking the electrical first, then the plumbing. I should have done some measuring, because I need to replace the hoses from the tank to the pump & filters anyway. Any guesses on length?

Craig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Craig Illman on September 29, 2014, 01:48:11 PM
Thanks, Ken.  I saw your thread over there. Checking the electrical first, then the plumbing. I should have done some measuring, because I need to replace the hoses from the tank to the pump & filters anyway. Any guesses on length?

Craig

I will email a list of what I have recorded.  I have most sizes listed, but darn it in the far past when I replaced lines, I didn't necessarily write down the length!  D'oh!

Ken

Craig Illman

This was the Sherwood I replaced with the N202M-16 Oberdorfer. The engine (whilst running) stayed at 160 with the 2" heat exchanger.

Craig Illman

When I have to tap on the fuel pump with a wrench to keep it running, would you consider that problematic?  :?

New one on order..........

Ron Hill

Craig : I believe that you have a 3" HX with your M25XP. 
The 2" HX was with the M25 engines.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ron - This is on my newly acquired 1990 C30 #5898 and a M3-20 engine.