Refinishing the cabin stairs

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Hi All,

Maybe like me, and somme others, you are tired of the look of the original MkI stairs.
I refinished mine last spring, and really enjoyed it this summer.

I have put some step and pictures in the wiki

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Cabin_stairs_refinish

enjoy.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Sue Clancy

These look great!  Did the silicone change colors or get dirty this year as you stepped on it?
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

patrice

HI,

Actually it handled the summer nicely.
The advantage of the silicone to be beige, it kept it's color without fadding.
And is easy to clean the steps, just run a wet cloth.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Noah

I like the visibility contrast too, as kind of a safety thing.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Great idea.  From November 1988:

http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/images/Pg20+21a.jpg

We did it back in 1998 when we bought our boat.

Nice job.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

I did the same last summer but I used black silicone.  I ended up putting strips of non stick tread on them afterwards.  Found when our feet were wet, the stairs got slippery.

Ron Hill

Guys : If you look in the Mainsheet tech notes (w/pictures) you'll see that some of us used strips of anti-skid.

That gives contrast as well as safety from slipping!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: mregan on September 24, 2014, 05:49:06 PM
I did the same last summer but I used black silicone.  I ended up putting strips of non stick tread on them afterwards.  Found when our feet were wet, the stairs got slippery.

I was thinking that if the sillycone was slightly convex (maybe shape a plastic spreader to remove the excess?) it would be more anti-skid?  Wonder how easy/difficult it would be to raise them slightly and still make the finished job look good as ?

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

kwaltersmi

That looks really good.  I might have to add that to my fall/winter project list, but I'm a little concerned about the durability of the silicone.  I suppose it's a cheap enough project that even if the silicone doesn't wear well, it can be removed or redone.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

mregan

I've had mine on now for 2 seasons (black) and it has worn well.  I thought having it would give the stairs a little more traction with wet feet but it didn't help at all so I added the anti skid which helped immensely.

patrice

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 25, 2014, 08:03:13 AM
Quote from: mregan on September 24, 2014, 05:49:06 PM

I was thinking that if the sillycone was slightly convex (maybe shape a plastic spreader to remove the excess?) it would be more anti-skid?  Wonder how easy/difficult it would be to raise them slightly and still make the finished job look good as ?

Ken K

HI,

Actually this is what I wanted to do at the begining, I used a transparent plastic packaging box that small fruits come in from the grocery store.  I cut a strip and on one side cut a semi round shape in it, thinking to scrap the exess silicone and give it the shape.
The issue was, when scrapping, the angle I was holding the scrapper was varying, making the bead to be wavy.  Not the same level.
If I was to redo, I would make some kind of support with the required angle to hold the scrapper in a fix angle.
Since I already had the silicone applied, I did not had time to play around.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~