water leak at raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

I have a oberdorfer pump that is leaking water from the shaft area where there is a cut out, (behind the impeller housing) and before where it bolts on the engine. I looked at the schematic of the pump and can't see where there is a seal, does anyone know what it could be? and why the drawing doesn't have a water seal listed
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bobg on September 19, 2014, 07:57:57 AM
I have a oberdorfer pump that is leaking water from the shaft area where there is a cut out, (behind the impeller housing) and before where it bolts on the engine. I looked at the schematic of the pump and can't see where there is a seal, does anyone know what it could be? and why the drawing doesn't have a water seal listed

You will see two "lip seals" in the diagram (part #8.)  They are shown next to each other, but they are in different locations of the body.

One keeps water in the pump chamber - it's right at the back (engine) side of the impeller.  

The other seal keeps oil from leaking out the shaft from the engine gear case cover and any water that might leak past the first seal, from entering the engine -- that seal is right at the mounting flange.

The weep hole is between the two seals and is there to keep water that gets past the first (pump chamber) seal, from working it's way past the second (oil) seal.

How long has this pump been on, or since it's been serviced?
Which engine do you have?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jeff Kaplan

Bob,

I had the same issue last season.  I took the pump to a local Universal dealer, Hanson Marine in Marblehead,Ma. and had them rebuild it. There is a repair kit available so you can rebuild it yourself, but I took it to the shop along with the heat x for a through cleanout. Make sure you also check the shaft for wear and get a new impeller and gasket for install.The pump comes right off, just align the shaft groove into the gear so it goes right back on...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Bobg

I have the m25 xp, engine, I changed the impeller this spring, and service the engine myself often.  The engine manual says item (8) water seal, however in the pump drawing, no item 8 is shown, hence the confusion, I do agree with what you have said, and will have to order a seal kit i suppose, hopefully the local marine stores will have the seals.  Thanks guys
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Bob, here's how it works:

Oberdorfer Pump Rebuild 101 - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html

The C34 tech wiki has this, plus others, too.

If you can't find the seals locally, Depco Pump Contacts  http://www.depcopump.com/contactus.php
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bobg

Wow, thanks to all of you, seals are ordered from depco, Durion, who works there was extremly helpful, along with the link from Stu and the wiki from Ron, this job will be a snap.  20 bucks apiece for the seals.  Thanks for the prompt reply guys.  Appreciate it  Bob