Leak at shaft log

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Holmes

Last fall I replaced my engine mounts and the results were remarkable. At the same time I decided to replace the stuffing box hose as it was rather hard and inflexible.  The replacement hose was rather loose fitting on the fiberglass tube.  (Exhaust hose was provided not the heavier hose I have seen recommended). Wanting to finish the job I proceeded and wrapped the log with some self-amalgamating tape, pushed the hose in place, and torqued the hose clamps.  Fast forward to spring launch and the hose was leaking. Tightened the clamps as much as I dared (AWAB clamps are amazing!) and it still leaked. Decided to pull the stuffing box forward and re-wrap the tube. This is somewhat unsettling as the water pours in!!  Now that our Canadian season is almost over, there is still a drip. Not sure what to try next:
Try rewrapping the tube once the boat is on the hard again?
Replace the hose with the heavier thickness?
Did I crack the tube by overtightening the clamps?  How is this inspected?  If cracked I expect it is not repairable but must be replaced.

All suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: JoeHolmes on September 16, 2014, 04:22:07 PM

I proceeded and wrapped the log with some self-amalgamating tape,

the hose was leaking.

Tightened the clamps as much as I dared (AWAB clamps are amazing!) and it still leaked.

re-wrap the tube.
there is still a drip.

Not sure what to try next:
rewrapping the tube ?

Hose is measured by internal diameter - 4 ply hose or 6 ply hose will have the same fit.  Or should.  

Ok, got me.  It's April Fools Day already?

What to try next?  How about "correctly"?
Pull the log hose, measure the log OD, and size it accordingly.  You can block "all" the water flow using a bathroom throne wax seal --  between the shaft and log (an in-the-water job.)

Cobbing up a critical link with silicone tape?  How's that working for you?
Pay me now, or pay me twice.  Or in this case pay me thrice.  
And you're thinking it's a good idea to do it again?  Give me your insurance company's name - I love whistle blowers.

C'mon Joe, do it correctly.

Nah, go for it.  If you cracked the log, hell, just brush some liquid rubber on it before adding the silicone tape.

Please take videos, though.

KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Joe Holmes

This has turned out to be a very interesting problem. It turns out the shaft log was worn paper thin on the bottom, and had cracked.  I found it when I hauled the boat and pulled the stuffing box hose forward. After boring out the tube, it was clear that the wear was along the entire length of the tube. If it was only the previous engine misalignment I would expect wear only at the forward portion of the tube. With significant wear along its length perhaps the tube was not installed in the proper location from day one. 

Fortunately my brother is a shipwright and he was able to do the installation of the new tube.  :clap The new tube was installed using the shaft to align it so this problem will not repeat itself. If there is any interest I can post a few photos and notes about the repair. Still a bit of final shaping to do at the aft end.

Sorry Ken but no liquid rubber was used!
Joe Holmes
Rothesay NB Canada

KWKloeber

Quote from: JoeHolmes on November 10, 2014, 06:25:32 PM

Sorry Ken but no liquid rubber was used!   :clap :clap :clap

LOL!!  :rolling

Isn't it gratifying when you can actually FIND and correct the root cause?  Well, maybe NOT to the pocketbook!

Defo post pics/write up on the wiki!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

MitchMan406

Quote from: JoeHolmes on November 10, 2014, 06:25:32 PM
This has turned out to be a very interesting problem. It turns out the shaft log was worn paper thin on the bottom, and had cracked.  I found it when I hauled the boat and pulled the stuffing box hose forward. After boring out the tube, it was clear that the wear was along the entire length of the tube. If it was only the previous engine misalignment I would expect wear only at the forward portion of the tube. With significant wear along its length perhaps the tube was not installed in the proper location from day one. 

Fortunately my brother is a shipwright and he was able to do the installation of the new tube.  :clap The new tube was installed using the shaft to align it so this problem will not repeat itself. If there is any interest I can post a few photos and notes about the repair. Still a bit of final shaping to do at the aft end..."

I actually had this happen to me.
The PO failed to disclose or perform correct engine alignment - although I knew there was a problem because of the one pound of Marinetex epoxy packed around the shaft log tube! :shock:
I had to make extensive repairs to fix the shaft-log (e.g.,shaft-log hose (5-6 ply), engine mounts, prop shaft, engine coupling, cutless bearing, etc.)
Engine misalignment and fatigued engine mounts were the culprits! 
I actually prepared a formal write up procedure for the C36 site if anyone is interested. There may be a lot of similarities in design between the C34 and C36.
Be happy to provide it; might save others a great deal of research and headache potentially.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: MitchMan406 on November 11, 2014, 11:30:39 AM
I actually prepared a formal write up procedure for the C36 site if anyone is interested. There may be a lot of similarities in design between the C34 and C36.
Be happy to provide it; might save others a great deal of research and headache potentially.

That would be very helpful and welcomed.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

MitchMan406

No problem.

I plan to clean it up a little and edit it and then I will submit it.

Shall I submit a .pdf or .doc file?

Lemme know how to submit, Stu.

(And thanks for your effort here, Stu; you guys have a been a great resource for me even though I have the C36, btw.)

chachere

Would very much like to see your write-up.  I just discovered I have the same problem on my C36  :cry4`
=https://www.catalina36.org/sites/default/files/forum/IMAG0324_1_0.jpg

Joe Holmes

Your failure looks remarkably similar to mine. I have not yet put my notes together.

I would start by fixing the alignment problem. If you don't you may end up in the same place again.  You can also order a new tube. Catalina Direct supplies them. Not too expensive and it is precut to the right size.  If you are replacing your stuffing box hose do as Ron says and get the heavy wall Algonguin. Catalina Direct sells thinner hose so look elsewhere. I got mine at Deep Blue Yacht Supply. 

I will put notes together and post.
Joe Holmes
Rothesay NB Canada