Windlass foot switch and relay

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

My windlass foot switch recently failed. I purchased what looked like a perfect Maxwell replacement (only to find it requires the hole thru  the deck to be about a half inch larger in diameter). Whatever.

I noticed that the Maxwell package had a note that the switch should be used with a relay it is used for a one way windlass, which is what I have.

I have seen that newer C34's have a windlass relay.  Would anyone be able to tell me the specific relay that is used?

Thanks.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

frank

Ahoy Roland: My 1999 C34 Windlass has a 135 amp circuit breaker switch located under the chart table. I had to replace the CB switch in 2011 which was a straight forward DIY task.

Frank

SV Swan Song.  Rothesay, NB, Canada.

Ron Hill

Roland : The foot switch from a windless is usually connected to a solenoid relay then the solenoid sends power to the windless itself.  Depending on the relay, the foot switch/s for the UP and or DOWN are wired in.

You have a new switch so I'd use the present wiring from the old switch to see if your problem is really the switch or the "relay" itself.  
Don't know where your relay for your windless is located, but if it is a factory installation (as I suspect) I'd call Catalina to find it's location - if you need it!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

Ron,

There is no relay between my foot switch and the windlass. The electrical cable runs directly from the switch to the windlass motor.  The windlass is one way, obviously up only. 

I will call the factory to find out their recommendations on the solenoid/relay.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Roland : No relay/solenoid, then just wire in the new switch to the old switch wires and you should be good to go!! 

All any switch does is OPEN or CLOSE a circuit.
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

The windlass works fine with the new foot switch. 

My reason for wanting to add a relay (or solenoid) was that the instructions with the replacement foot switch said that it should be used with a relay, if used in a one way windlass. 
The contacts of the old switch were burned out, causing the failure. My assumption is that a relay would be able to sustain the load of the windlass current better than the switch.   I don't know if the failed switch was the boat's original switch, as I have owned it for only about 1/3 of its life.   

The Maxwell site does not show a continuous current rating for the foot switch.  Inexpensive Cole Hersee spst solenoids have ratings of around 75 amps continuous.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

KWKloeber

Quote from: Roland Gendreau on September 23, 2014, 05:39:34 AM
The windlass works fine with the new foot switch. 

My reason for wanting to add a relay (or solenoid) was that the instructions with the replacement foot switch said that it should be used with a relay, if used in a one way windlass. 
The contacts of the old switch were burned out, causing the failure. My assumption is that a relay would be able to sustain the load of the windlass current better than the switch.   I don't know if the failed switch was the boat's original switch, as I have owned it for only about 1/3 of its life.   

The Maxwell site does not show a continuous current rating for the foot switch.  Inexpensive Cole Hersee spst solenoids have ratings of around 75 amps continuous.

Definitely install a solenoid if there wasn't one -- it will keep the replacement switch contacts like new for many years longer!

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : What Ken is saying is that a solenoid (which is why a solenoid is installed in any circuit) will reduce the hi amperage that is now going thru the switch contacts to a very very low amperage.

This reduces arcing that "dirtys up" and wears out the contacts in the any switch - in this case a windlass foot switch!!  Electric 101
Ron, Apache #788