Water Saver Idea

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Six years ago, I reported on the Scanvik water wands:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4008.msg22909.html#msg22909

However, my experience with it was less than stellar.  I found the wand to be in the way.  Of course, I could have cut some of it off, but still, it just didn't "look or feel" right.

Last month I was up in Canada, visiting a new friend in Maple Bay, and he has the same galley faucet on his boat that we have on ours.  His wife found this handy gadget, the Water Wise Tap On Aerator.

I installed it last week and it works just the way I would have liked the Scanvik to work (as mentioned in that link):  I can leave the faucets open, preset for temperature especially when the hot water is really HOT!!!, and just push the button for water on & off.  Even more helpful is that it is rated for only 1.8 gpm, while our pump puts out at least 2 if not 3 gpm, so it saves water, too.  It also comes in a 2.8 gpm model.

I got it at Canadian Tire, don't know if it's available in the USA.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : Home Depot or Lowes' has the "lever" cutoff that Ken mentioned.  

I've used one for years, but be aware that it does not completely cut of the flow of water, but increases or reduces the flow drastically.  
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Having the water continue to flow very slightly is really helpful for the shower, since it maintains the temperature really well.

This is not so good or even necessary for the galley sink, since it's much closer/right above the water heater and I'm trying to save water.  The one I posted has a full shutoff.

Just FYI, not saying one's better than the other.

Your faucet, your choice.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

All : I liked the idea that there was a slight dribble of water from the lever type cut off in the galley for the same reasons that Stu mentioned. 

Additionally, that little dribble was enough water to wash my hands and not have to touch the knob or the lever!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788