A different barnacle problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Ok, no worries with the bottom, shaft or prop having barnacles. My problem is in the air-conditioning. As I pull my strainer I have the usual grass and also a few barnacles - no big deal. However, the other day I noticed that the out put through hull was way down from its usual flow. Step one was to dive in and clear all my through hulls from the bottom. A bit dirty but not much. However, when I pulled the hose between the trough hull and the strainer, it was literally, not figuratively, packed with barnacles! What type of preventative maintenance can I do for this issue?

I know I'll get great responses so, thank you in advance! :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

One of the joys of living in warm Fla water.  I too experienced just what you describe.  The strainer was old, broke apart as I tried to clean it.  Bought a new one and added cleaning twice a week to the calendar.  Guess I should have posted something....but Key West had my mind other places.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Thanks Ken. However, I've been cleaning the strainer regularly. My issue is that the hose running from the through hull TO the strainer is clogging with barnacles.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : On most 1988 C34s the strainer assembly is screwed on to the top of the thru hull.  There is no hose inbetween!?! 

Need a picture of you set up!
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

I would say it it time to replace the hose.  Once they start sticking to the inside wall, don't think there is any easy way to get/keep them out.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA