Steering pedestal instrument layout (MK II)

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Hi,

I have same setup as Frederick got.
My wife does not like it when we are motoring to get to mooring or to drop the ancor.
She has trouble to see over, she say there is to much stuff in front of her ......

When sailing or motoring distance, I also sit on the side.

So I was wondering why do we install all this equipment on pedestal if we can't see them most of the time ???
I was looking at maybe relocating on top of cabin entry under the dodger. Somewhere it can be seen from everywhere.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Roc

Cory,
You say you had to have a new pedestal guard made. There wasn't a "stock" guard available to fit that NavPod, or what you wanted?  If it was custom, where did you get it made?  I seem to think there are lots of stock pedestal guard configurations available......
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Noah

To further add to this fun discussion (and the opportunity to show off my toys) I agree, instrument selection and placement is definitely a "personal thing". When I purchased my C34 at the beginning of this year I embarked on my extensive upgrade quest. I decided that this would probably be my last boat and that I would set it up "right", the way I wanted it--cost be dammed. After six months of projects and spending, I am now the proud owner of what is probably the most expensive C34 around...and not so sure how wise my "cost be dammed" strategy was.....Oh well, at least the boat is indeed now set up the way I like it.

Having done a lot of long distance passage making over the years, I am a firm believer in redundancy in systems and having backups for when things malfunction. I planned for the possibility that my "cool" 12in. multifunction display might crash or smash, and for this reason, I installed an 8 in. Zeus multifunction display at the chart table too, which also provides the convenience of monitoring state of the boat from below when off watch or not at the helm and for trip/course planning.  Both multifunction displays have the same functionality and can display read outs from all my instruments including wind, depth, chart plotter, 4G radar overlay, my AIS transceiver info and control my Smirad below-deck hydraulic autopilot. I also have two 4in. B&G T41 Triton read outs in the cockpit, on either side of the companionway. These can display all instrument data, except radar and charts. Convenient to have one showing depth the other wind while charts a radar are on the 12in screen. I haven't fully explored all combos yet to have a favorite or most used. These are very functional toys, offering all sorts of wiz bang functions like Sail Steer, auto tacking shortest route to windward waypoints, even when on autopilot. It can all be operated from my IPad as well, except the autopilot steering function. Rumor has it B&G's insurance carrier made them disable this function so someone doesn't sue them after crashing their yacht while steering from their bunk down below!

It will all take some (enjoyable) getting used to. Meanwhile, for costal cruising I have a self-contained pocket-size battery operated Garmin GPS tucked in a drawer as "plan B" if all systems meltdown. And, if I ever decide to go really far offshore (doubtful) I would consider pulling my old sextant off the shelf, although I haven't used it since the 1980s. I remember at that time I was all excited about my new "high-tech" Tamaya NC-77 celestial navigation handheld calculator!  The state of the art keeps moving forward...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

One more thing. I purchased my pedestal angle guard from Navpod. It was cheaper than Edson, a bit taller and very nice quality. I then took it to a local marine welder to have it cut and bent to get the angle and distance to compass binnacle the way I wanted, to maximize forward visibility. Also it was mentioned that you have to be wary of magnetic disturbances around the binnacle compass. I agree. Not only putting errant metal gear and electronics around it but some multifunction displays (like my B&G) have magnetic catches on the simm card door or that can effect the compass. Fortunately I tested my placement before hand and it caused about 10 degrees of error, which was corrected using the compass's internal magnets. Anything more than 15-20 degrees could be a problem.  Of course if you have an electronic rate compass integrated with your autopilot, the magnetic compass effectively gets relegated to the "back up compass". However, I think it would be disconcerting to have it not match your other data.
Standard Rig

Dave Spencer

Here's my relatively low budget setup.  I have a Standard Horizon CP300i chartplotter that I mounted to an extra VHF antenna mount that is in turn clamped to the pedestal.  I remove the chartplotter when away from the boat and I have a separate power cable in the salon that I sometimes use in the evening to do course planning for the next day.  The chartplotter swivels so it can be seen from either the port or stbd seat.  I pivot it parallel to the cockpit seats when at anchor to maximize the clearance when walking by.  In this condition, it is no wider than the teak cupholder.  No issues with seeing over the binnacle guard.  It's easy for me at 6'2" but my wife is a foot shorter and she does fine.  (although I really like Cory and Noah's setup)

I took these pictures to show Raymarnie that my new autopilot was messed up.  You'll notice on the virtual rudder indicator is showing the rudder hard a port but I'm still falling off to stbd.  Raymarine agreed and replaced it.  All is well now.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Noah

Dave- I really like your wheel cover work! Very nice!

In my experience, when considering a bigger Navpod both height and width need to be "tested." When I was noodling my set up I tried (simulating) positioning the two 4 in. Triton displays on either side of my 12 in. display with a larger Navpod, but it restricted my side-to-side and forward view. Bad "chi" as they say. So I mounted them up on the cabin bulkhead on either side of companionway. The displays have very large clear readouts so are easy to see from anywhere in the cockpit, even with my old eyes.
Standard Rig

cmainprize

Roc, I had the guard made locally by Stainless outfitters in Barrie Ontario.  The standard Edison guard was two inches shorter.  I needed the extra couple of inches to allow the table wings to unfold and still clear the cup holder.  I also try and use local guys whenever I can.  They have made me a couple of sets of Davies, and lots of odds and ends over the years and have fair prices. 

I do like the options others have used to allow them to rotate their plotter towards there seating location.  I had this for years and do miss this option at times.   I am still exploring different options to mount my iPad.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Steve_in_lex

The revised layouts that you all have shown on this chain involve changing the pedestal guard.  How big a deal is it to either find a replacement guard that has dimensions that would fit a lower profile, or find a welder who can modify the guard and have it come out looking okay?  Thanks.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Noah

As far as I know Edson and Navpod make several different height pedestal guards in a couple of tube diameters. If you are not able to find one that is just right for your needs, it is not too expensive to have them modified by a local welding shop. That is what I did with my Navpos pedestal to adjust the bend and height to accommodate my 12 in. MFD at the height and angle I wanted it. Pretty simple.
Standard Rig