losing antifreeze

Previous topic - Next topic

Momentum

Bob I've got a similar problem from day one.  I've had this boat from the dealer, new.  It's now 10yrs old.  I was never able to keep some antifreeze in the OverFlow bootle....but at the manifold level all is OK.  It's always full but the OB is always empty.  At first the dealer's explanation was air locks since it was new so it needed burping.  After 3 or 4 g of antifreeze (I kept on adding in the OB) I gave up.  The motor run good, no overheating, so it aint brooke so aint fixing it!!  I've checked under the motor, on the floor, in the bilge and no sign of it.  So this problem exist even when the boat is new...so your problem might be part of the same Mistery then me.  The only difference is that my level in the manifold is always topped..good luck in your research.
Serge

Ken Juul

I'm sure someone previously to me has found the problem.  You have an 88 boat.  If the simple fixes that others have suggested don't solve it.  I would say, you know you have some sort of problem.  Enjoy your short sailing season, deal with the problem and solve it this winter.  Have you had to change your exhaust riser?  Cleaning the manifold end was one of the hardest jobs I've every done.  If yes, that may be where the problems lies.  If no, it could still be the culprit.  Also how old is your water heater?  Could the heating circuit be leaking into the fresh water?  The leak you describe is so slow it might not be noticed.  Maybe disconnect the water heater lines and see if the problem is solved.  The engine will run fine without heating the hot water tank.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

anaisdog

how do we know what kind of coolent cover (on the engine) we can use?  was there a guide for the M25's somewhere?  my cover is green and rusty (and brittle looking)?
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Stu Jackson

Becki, scroll to the top of this page, click on C34 Tech wiki, scroll down to Engine, and you can also find Manuals on the first wiki page.

You may also be interested in the "sticky" topics:

A Quick Start Guide -- a.k.a. Too Much Information on this Website

Searching Tips & Tricks in addition to the great search engine on this Forum
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on August 19, 2014, 07:09:11 AM
how do we know what kind of coolent cover (on the engine) we can use?  was there a guide for the M25's somewhere?  my cover is green and rusty (and brittle looking)?

Becki,

If you are referring to the coolant reservoir "pressure cap"  (ie radiator cap on a car,) the online manuals will give you the westerbeke p/n, which is 24306 and is a 15 psi pressure cap, but not give you the aftermarket substitute.

There are only a couple standard cap diameters - and your NAPA store can match it up to your old one.  I used a Stant lever release cap (sorry, didn't record the p/n.)

That said, the Wb part is < $7.70 retail if you have a dealer nearby (or pay retail +10% from Toad) - otherwise get the equivalent from NAPA for about 6 bucks.

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog