Replacement or repair of aft polyethylene water tank, 1987 Catalina 34

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc G

The aft polyethylene water tank in Spellbound has developed a crack in a compound corner near the top of the tank, where the depression is locate to clear the steering mechanism.  The crack is extending down the aft wall and across the seam horizontally.
Has anyone tried a repair or know of a replacement for the this tank.
I understand not all 1987 34's had this tank, which is about 30 gallon capacity.
I intend to remove the tank this fall.

Thnaks,
Marc

lazybone

There are kits with electric heating irons and poly sticks for repairing but I would guess the moving/shifting weights involved with about 30gal of water are considerable and would probably overwhelm any patches.  
I have done small repairs to automobile engine compartment containers but those holes were small and caused by rubbing not flexing.

It might be worth a winter time experiment but I suspect your going to need a new tank.

(you will need to remove the tank for both)
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Marc : I believe that maybe only the early 1987 C34 did not have an aft tank like most 1986s.  The later 87s and subsequent MK Is all have an aft tank.  

I show that the tank is listed as a 42 gal. stock# B182 with a part# of 60174.  it should have the molded "cut out" for the steering mechanism.

I'd try to get a new tank and as a last resort try mending it with a hot air weld.

Hope this helps.  
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

I had a successful repair done to my previous boat, a 1984 C30.   The tank had developed a crack where it sat on a wood support stringer.    I continued to own the boat for a couple years afterwards and the tank held ok. 

Having said that, I purchased a replacement waste holding tank for my C34 at a surprisingly low price from Catalina  Yachts. 

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

sailaway

I own a 1986 hull number 95 with a water tank  under the v-berth and in the main saloon. My friend has a 1986 hull number later 200 I think who has an aft water tank. Charlie

Stu Jackson

I agree with Charlie.  We have #224, 1986, starboard and aft water tanks, nothing under the V berth but great storage.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Marc G

Thank you all for your assistance.
Just got back from a great 4 day cruise and getting caught up.
I looked at the plastic welding gear and will have to wait until I remove the tank to determine whether that will be an option.
I also found Plastic-mart.com who said they can fab a tank to fit. It would be about $300.
Catalina yachts in FL said they could also fab a new tank in 2-3 weeks. I need to find the embossed B number for them to quote me.

I will wait till I haul to proceed and then remove the tank.
I will also be looking to repair/rebuild the rudder bushings as it is getting looser by the week.
Looking over the forum for info on this task....

Thanks,
Marc