winter cover?

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

My 90 C34 has been under a poorly fitted Top Shop cover for the last 6 winters.

I would avoid the TopShop and find the local canvas guy to make a custom cover.

The top shop "said" they had made covers for this boat and had all the drawings, didn't need pics or measurements.

So when it showed up it did not fit. I ripped the zipper right off it trying to get it on in December.  The owner, Dave was less than accommodating.  If I shipped it to his hotel at the boat show he would take it to canada and fix it.  Still no visit, no measurements.  The clamping parts that grab the aluminum bows are a major pain to work with.  They just are very hard to keep upright after the wind gets hold of it.  For the 2800.00 this cost me I could have had the local guy who is here and available touch up errors or make changes.  Live and learn.

About being under a cover... I had the cover made for mast up storage.  I stored mast up for 3 winters.  Lots of water in the bilge from the mast.  the last 3 winters we store mast down.  stepping the mast is not a major PIA in my opinion.
Once you do it for the first time it's easy after that.  It's good to take the mast down now and then in any case.

The Top shop cover because of the supports won't allow you to move around under the cover as in going from the cockpit to the anchor locker.  The material is holding up well here in Lake Ontario and I should easily get another 5 years before I start thinking I need a new cover.   I would never shrink wrap.... too damp.  Damp is  bad.

The TopShop possibly made ya'll a good cover, but not me.  I wish I'd got Claudes Canvas to do it instead.

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

tommyt

This is the first bad Top Shop experience I have heard of. Sorry to hear about it.Mine was a mast down cover and you could move from all the way to the bow easily. Most of the time I put it up and took it off myself. Fit fine, no problems.

Had a wet 24" of snow in a little over 6 hours and it did crash the metal frame s few year ago. Canvas was fine. Bought a new frame and 11 years later still working great. Last year we had 260" of snow and no problem.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

anaisdog

I ordered from North Shore Canvas after all.  They honored the price from Strictly sail, even though it was 6 months old and they come to the boat to measure her.  I hope this is worth the cost!
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Andrew Harvey

Our Top Shop cover is still in great shape after 10 years.
I put additional 2x1 wood strapping for lateral support of the aluminum frame.
I use 8' lengths attached horizontally .. i drill holes to fit cable ties to the vertical framing. This strengthens the entire frame in event of heavy snow build up.. like last winter maybe ?
Andrew Harvey

Footloose

I would agree that my Top Shop cover is not a perfect fit but it works very well.  It was about 1/3 the price of local shops so I am happy with it as is.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Clay Greene

Just as another consideration, my cover from the Canvas Shop does not have a frame as support.  The aft part of the cover is supported by the boom and the forward part of the cover is held up by our spare halyard.  It worked great through our hellacious winter last year.  It was much easier than our old cover because we did not have to mess with a frame. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

anaisdog

shipshapecanvas.com just got back to me from me requesting a quote last week. too slow :-(

Jim Hardesty

Just curious, how was their quote?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

anaisdog

deluxe cover - 2300.  no frame.  the one i'm getting is 2800, again, no frame but they are coming to detroit to custom measure my boat.