uv protection side on roller furling genoa

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

I searched on this and didn't find anything.  i have completely forgotten which side of my 155 genoa has the uv protection on it.  it's a UK sail and rollar furling.  there is a shiny side and a dull side.  (and i'm feeling dull right now, not remembering this). the lead for the furler is on the starboard side.  which side should be outside?

thanks in advance

becki kain
hull 99
detroit
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Fred Koehlmann

Becki,

Most of us are lucky to have the UV protector as a contrasting colour (ours is "captain navy"), which makes the exercise very easy. If however yours is as white as the sail, it should be still sewn to the sail the same way. Which is along the the luff and foot of the genoa. Compare the two sides and see where the extra strip is sewn. In our case the protector strip is on the starboard side of the sail.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

Regardless of which side the Sunbrella is on, all you have to do is make sure the line on the furler is on the proper way.  You can take your jib sheets off the fairleads and wrap it whichever way is required.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Les Luzar

I have my Hood 915D continuous furling line on my starboard side. I believe that counter clockwise rolls the sail in. In my case this is the lower line on my double block nearest the cockpit. I too had white UV when I bought my boat 8 years ago. I changed my UV protectant to Navy Sunbrella about 6 years ago. It takes the guess work out. All the other advice is good. Look at your sail closely, and you will be able to tell, then determine which way (counter clockwise or clockwise) rolls the sail in the correct direction.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 21, 2014, 09:23:32 AM
Regardless of which side the Sunbrella is on, all you have to do is make sure the line on the furler is on the proper way.  You can take your jib sheets off the fairleads and wrap it whichever way is required.

Related...  or maybe not. 

A tip....

I'm always fearful of being up the main attraction in one of "those" photos with someone's furling gear flying loose and the Genny torn to shreds. 

I saved the short reefing lines (24" maybe?) that the PO had permanently knotted onto the reef cringles, and keep one simply cow-hitched on the pulpit (never ever lost one.)  At the end of the day -- two turns around the headsail she goes, a half knot (facing aft) snugs it up, and then a full reef knot, capturing the sheets between the half and full reef knot.  Might need a stepladder on a 34 though.  :lol:

I refuse to be the centerpiece in one of "those" photos.

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Becki : To answer your question : 
I've had 3 genoa head sail made and the UV protection has always been on the starboard side of the sail.

Hope this helps
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

Whoa, thanks Ron!

I just got an email that my new 150 was shipped today.  I know its coming with the sun cover on the starboard side.

Steve

anaisdog

so if the uv is on the starboard side, which side do I roll the jib in on?  thanks

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on July 23, 2014, 11:32:24 AM
so if the uv is on the starboard side, which side do I roll the jib in on?  thanks

You're gonna want your foresail to starboard and the drum turning counter-clockwise to reef the sail.

Picture it -- when the sail wraps around the furler in that direction, the last to wrap will be the outside (UV) stitched onto starboard side of the luff (good thing.)
Same scenario - but the drum rotates clockwise -- the sunbrella would end up wrapped facing in (not a good thing.)

Likewise, you will want to be on the same tack when you unfurl it.

Theoretically, it doesn't matter whether your furler line runs on port or starboard, but you need to maintain a fair lead into the drum. So depending on the angle and where the entry point into the drum is (what position the drum was installed,) will dictate which side is best for your furler line.  For instance, if the opening or lead into the drum is on port. it might be awkward and foul the line if it ran across and back along starboard.  That can be fixed by switching the line or adjusting (rotating) the drum (depending on the model) to maintain a fair lead.

What make do you have? Is it an old Dynafurl?  Pix?

-kwk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Becki : All you need to do is make sure that that the furler will be turning counter clockwise after you slide the sail on with the sail all the way out - if the UV protector is on the starboard side of the sail.

If your UK furler happens to be a single line furler, the drum needs to be already loaded with line so when you roll the sail in the drum turns counter clockwise.  

When in doubt as to which side? call UK the maker of the sail, and ask which side they put the UV protector on!!
If UK says it's on the port side, then reverse the starboard side rolling in UV instructions and make use the drum turns clockwise when rolling it in!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Becki,

Pretend you're able to fly and you can look down  on the furling foil and sail.

Which way would you wrap it?

Good luck.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

turns out the sunbrella is on the port side and my friend, who is a racer and had never seen a roller furling system, ran my lead in the wrong direction.  i'll fix it today.

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on July 26, 2014, 05:19:46 AM
turns out the sunbrella is on the port side and my friend, who is a racer and had never seen a roller furling system, ran my lead in the wrong direction.  i'll fix it today.

Great!  Mystery solved!!!

Ron Hill

Becki : You just proved my old Chinese saying:

"When you have a question, ask the manufacturer and your answer will come from the horses mouth ....
Ask an internet blog and you'll get answers, but you won't know which end of the horse is speaking"!!!

My thought
Ron, Apache #788