LPG switch indicator light

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

About the middle of our 4 week trip to Desolation Sound the "on" indicator light for the LPG solenoid quit functioning, but the LPG solenoid continued to operate.  I checked all the connections to the light and they seem to be fine, so I assume I need to replace the bulb.  Is this something I need to obtain from Seward or is there a better place to obtain one?  it appears the light is glued into the panel from the back.  Have any of you had to replace any of the indicator lights on the main panel?

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Roc

I replaced the AC green light on the panel from Radio Shack.  They sell AC and 12v little panel lights for a few dollars.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Jack : The light can go out and the switch still works!

You need a "small" (size) lighted rocker switch which you can get from Seaword or Sea Dog or Radio Shack.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Before you start rewiring, give the panel a good slap.  I bought a new light, was getting to instal last Nov.  The movement of opening the  panel caused the light to start working again.  Original is still working 7 months later.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jack Hutteball

Thanks for the info guys.  I did disconnect and reconnect the light and it still didn't work.  I will try to slap the panel around as I noted that one time I turned on the switch I though I saw a flicker of light.  Ron, on our panels the light is separate, not part of the switch.  It is wired from one side of the switch to ground.  I will fiddle with it some more then head to radio shack for a replacement if necessary.  We only have a small store here in Anacortes.  Have not looked at how it comes out as it appears to be glued in.  Is that what you found Roc?

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Roc

Jack,
Yes, I believe the light was pressed in with a glob of silicone on the back.  If I remember correctly, the Radio Shack light was a bit larger in diameter (I'm talking about just slightly, maybe 1/64").  So I got a round file and opened up the hole a little and put the new light in.  Just wire it up like the old one and you're good to go.

Jack Hutteball

Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

lazybone

Quote from: Ken Juul on July 21, 2014, 06:44:06 PM
Before you start rewiring, give the panel a good slap.  I bought a new light, was getting to instal last Nov.  The movement of opening the  panel caused the light to start working again.  Original is still working 7 months later.

That's right from the first course of the Jethro Bodine school of television repair.

"Spit in the back and give it a kick".

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Jack : Go to Radio Shack and purchase a 12V indicator light, believe you can get one in the colors of  green/red/yellow!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jack Hutteball

Did the spit, slap, kick thing and nothing happened (at least the rest of the panel still works).  Pulled out the light by removing the gob of silicone sealant on the back.  It says 14 volt, Mexico on the lamp body.  Just looking around the web I see 12 -24 volt LED lamps.  This is LED right?

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Roc

patrice

Quote from: Jack Hutteball on July 22, 2014, 09:01:23 PM
  Just looking around the web I see 12 -24 volt LED lamps.  This is LED right?

Jack

Hi,
I don't have the same panel, but would doubt it is LED if burnt.  LED should last quite longer than this.
But might be a good idea to replace with LED.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Roc

A couple years ago is when my green AC light burned out.  That's after about 12 years of continuous use.  The other lights on my panel are still working from the start.  These lights are so cheap, and they last pretty long, searching for an LED type of light might not be worth it.

KWKloeber

I believe the originals were not LED  -
RS has neon bulbs in holders (maybe only 120v though), and also 12v LEDs in holders....

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=13384949&kw=red%20led%20with%20holder&origkw=red+led+with+holder&sr=1

Or Call Mark at Sherco auto .. the diameter of his are 1/4" if that works for you...
http://www.sherco-auto.com/led.htm

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jack Hutteball

Located the exact panel indicator light close to our back yard, exact replacement.  Sure Marine Services in Seattle, who is the main seller and repair shop for Seaward Marine/Whale products in the Northwest.  They are LED by the way.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington