Adding a 12-volt outlet

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent & Jane Overbeck

I need to add a 12-volt outlet to provide power (less than 4 amps) for an Engel refrigerator.  The Engel will sit on the floor of the entrance to the aft cabin.  I would like to wire the outlet to the 20 amp breaker by the fuel pump as it would take less than 2' of wire.  If properly fused, is there any problem in doing this?

Thanks, Kent 

KWKloeber

Quote from: Kent & Jane Overbeck on July 09, 2014, 01:10:28 PM

the 20 amp breaker by the fuel pump  

Presume by the above, that we're talking about an XPB?

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Craig Illman

I think the 12V outlets I've seen are 15A max, if you add a 15A inline fuse, the 20A breaker switch would be fine.

Ron Hill

Kent : I'd wire it from the battery compartment, under the floor thru the chase for the aft tank water hose. Then put a 12v receptacle (in line fuse+) in the aft cabin or hard wire it for the fridge.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I just had to replace the fuse on our lighter plug.  It was a 20A slow blow fuse.  I replaced it with a 15A regular fuse, it works just fine for charging the hh VHF and batteries and our phone.  The issue with these plugs is twofold:  the wire size going to them and their inherent capacity.  I will no longer ever put our gazillion candlepower light into that plug.  I haven't needed that light in the past 15 years anyway.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kent & Jane Overbeck

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the input.