Measuring up a dodger in St Petersburg area on a Mk2

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

I am trying to get a dodger made for my C34mk2. The problem I am having is that there is no one in my area to make it. JSI Canvas in St Petersburg FL. has offered to make one to make the dodger if there is a C34mk2 in his area that he could use to measure on.
My question is there anyone in the St Petersburg area that would let the the canvas guy on their boat. He has said there would be a beer reward involved.
Thanks Dave.
Aussie Rules BC Canada

Dave Spencer

Dave,
I'm very surprised there's nobody more local who can make you a dodger.  I think all manufacturers would prefer to measure the boat but there are lots of C34s around and most companies would likely have done at least one dodger.  There are several companies in and around Toronto that do dodgers.  I know of Island Canvas and Genco - only from their displays at the Toronto Boat Show.  My friend had Genco do some major work on his 38 ft powerboat and he was very pleased.  I'm sure JSI is a fine company but you may wish to check out options in Vancouver, Victoria and the Seattle area.  If you don't find anything, the companies I mentioned in Toronto may be able to either do a dodger for you (they have both certainly done several C34s) or recommend a company in BC.
Good luck with your project. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

tommyt

I must be confused. Not unusual for me.

Where is the boat? Where are you? Does it already have a dodger frame and you are just looking for canvas? Or do you need the whole package?

Catalina switched designs quite often, some better than others. Make sure if they are duplicating something that is a somehting that you will like.

I cannot believe that there is not a canvas shop in the BC area that would not be able to fabricate what you need.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Clay Greene

That's really surprising because at some point Catalina started having JSI make all of their dodgers and biminis and I can't believe they never did a C34 Mark II.  Maybe they didn't keep good records.  
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ozzie

Thanks for your replies.

There are people in the Vancouver/Seattle area that can make dodgers. Even in Ontario they make nice dodgers. In there interior of BC where the boat is about four hours from Vancouver there are people, but there canvas work is mostly power boat oriented. 

I did get a quote from Genco. Which was very similar to Iversons out of Seattle.

I was trying to get one made by the people that supply Catalina Yachts. I am also surprised that they don't have the patterns for a C34 as there so many out there. The boats are also getting to the age that replacement canvas will start to be in demand.

Something I thought would be simple didn't turn out that way.

Dave

tommyt

I asked about location because I was not sure where Kelowna was. I came across a website a few months ago for a place on the Island that showed some great dodger and canvas work. I think that the name was Felicity? You might try them as they may have a pattern or be able to help. Good luck.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Craig Illman

Dave - I think these guys are on Vancouver Island and have made dodgers for C34 MkII's.  www.tartarooga.com

ozzie

I talked to Frank from Felicity and he just retired. I will give Tartarooga a call