Head Sink Mixing Valve

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

I'd like to add a thermostatic shower valve to control the temperature of hot water coming out of the sink in the head.  It is not easy getting the temp. just right in the shower then turn off to soap up and readjust the temp again to rinse.  I'd like to keep the galley sink capable of very hot water for cleaning so installation under the lavatory sink is what I would like.   I'm thinking I would need to know...
1)flow rate (gpm)
2) size of the hot and cold water lines
3)Water pressure (PSI).
Has anyone done this yet?  If so what mixing valve did you use?

Stu Jackson

Mark,

That's one way to do it.  Honeywell makes a thermostatic mixing valve.  I'll see if I can find a link.

OTOH, many of us have done this, it's a LOT easier:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1527.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mark_53

I like to KISS so the shutoff valve could work.  Where inline is it installed?  Seems like the shutoff valve would interfere with the faucet fitting back on the sink.  I've looked in RV stores for a new fixture but no luck finding one that fits.

Stu Jackson

Mark, right at the faucet.  You lift it up so you expose the metal hose, like you're taking a shower.  Unscrew the wand from the hose, screw in the shutoff, screw the wand into the shutoff.  KISS is right.   :D  I use ours all the time, just came back from a week + long cruise, great simple idea.  You set the temp by running the water into the sink first, then, because the valve is not a complete shutoff, the temp in the hose stays pretty consistent.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

mark_53

Stu, I did consider the shutoff valve but as I recall, the wand has a tapered fitting that fits into another tapered fitting on the faucet base.  If the hose is unscrewed and the shutoff installed, the sutoff will be between the wand and tapered fitting on the faucet base thus not allowing the wand to fit back in the facuet base.  I'll have to take a second look.

Ron Hill

Guys : Published in the Mainsheet tech notes many years ago :

Grohe makes a cutoff for that wand which is their Grohe shower system (which is what Catalina installed in their early C34s)  That cutoff sets neatly in the counter fixture!!
Go on line or see if this old tel# still works (630)582-7711. 

Great info in those old Mainsheet tech notes!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mark_53

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 27, 2014, 01:49:24 PM
Grohe makes a cutoff for that wand which is their Grohe shower system (which is what Catalina installed in their early C34s)  That cutoff sets neatly in the counter fixture!!
Go on line or see if this old tel# still works (630)582-7711. 

Checked their website...apparently, no longer available. :cry4`

Stu Jackson

1. If Grohe doesn't make it, please read my earlier link, Reply #1.  IIRC, one skipper said he'd gone to Home Depot or a similar outlet.  You need to be creative these days, not everything's on the internet.   :D

Please, please, please: READ THE LINKS.

Thanks.

2.  With your sample in your hot little hands, here's what you can end up with:

search tag:  Grohe shutoff flix

3.  Worse comes to worst, you change the hose below to something that fits, maybe even a new wand.  Just like in the Link. :D

Good luck.

Noah

Resurrected an old thread: I just installed a hot water mixing valve on my fresh water system. Another project COMPLETED! It was a bit crowded under my sink next to HW heater with new DC buss bar and Digital-Duo charger now living under there, but it works. No more scalding water in head or galley!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig