'gang plank'?

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

Has anyone out there experimented with a gang plank to temporary connect the boat with the dock. My boat is on a floating dock and I use wooden steps to walk or jump to depending on the conditions. I have seen much larger boats at the marina use a plank set up, one I noticed had rollers on the dock!
Thanks,
Ron (Stolen Moments)

chuck53

If you're on a floating dock, doesn't the distance between the dock and your deck remain the same?
Yes, you are right that most larger boats do have gang planks and they usually come with wheels so they can easily self adjust with changing tides.  Our docks are not floating and we have about a 3' tidal change.  We have steps to help with high tide.

Kevin Henderson

Interesting idea Ron,

I too have thought about a plank.  
I have always used a telescoping pet ramp aboard for my dog to get up and down the ladder to enter and exit the salon. I have used the same telescoping ramp a couple times when not at my home dock so my dog can easily step up into the boat.  However, I had never thought about a permanent arrangement. (as she gets older it may be something I do as well)

It certainly would not be hard.

The aluminum telescoping pet ramp I have, was bought at PetsMmart.  The ramp is wide and sturdy, has solid footing and hold up to 400 lbs.  (I generally walk on it after my dog and I come aboard to get below).  A person could easiliy modify the ramp by adding some caster wheels from HD or something similar. The tricky part might be securing it to the boatside of the ramp so that the ramp sways and moves only on the dockside.  :abd:

Something similar to the link below:

http://www.handiramp.com/dog-ramps/tripletelescopingdogramps.htm
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau