Intake out of the water?

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

While motor sailing this past weekend, I was wondering if the engine cooling intake would stay submerged. Does anyone have a feel for the angle of heel that would put the intake out of the water? My last boat's intake was way too high and would come out easily.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

chuck53

The engine cooling water intake is very close to the engine and close to the centerline of the boat.  I can't imagine it ever coming out of the water and if it did, it would only be a few seconds.  

kwaltersmi

If you're cooling water intake is coming out of the water, you very likely aren't motoring because it would take a near knock-down to expose that thru-hull to the air.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Ron Hill

Paul : As the others have said, I can confirm that in 25 years I never had a problem. 
Also, I put about 5500 hours on 2 engine in that 25 years!! 

You don't have to be concerned about your raw water intake!!
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

If your heal is such that the intake is above the WL, you have more pressing issues, like no oil getting to the oil pemp, your transmission fluid, etc!!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Set2sea

Thanks all. I got the piece of mind I was looking for. And good point on motoring angle and oil distribution.
Have I said how much I love this boat? I just did a cruise to Cape Cod, she performed beautifully! All the hard work has paid off. I love the glow plug upgrade!
Thanks for the input as always.
Paul
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma