Sad about the C-36 forum...

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on June 25, 2014, 09:15:15 PM
Really too bad and I don't know what I would do if this Board made the same terrible decision.

Kevin,  we won't.  The response to my memo to our Officers & Board indicate that they agree that the C36 folks made a big mistake.

Quote from: lazybone on June 26, 2014, 04:29:22 AM
It would be a useful to know what factors which caused the C36 board to round the wagons.  My suspicion is falling revenue due to shrinking membership.  It has been a few years since C36 production has stopped.

We might not agree with their model but it could be working.

Whatever problems they might or might not have will have to be faced by C34 bb.

Aldo, their reasoning was highly suspect.  They wrote that they wanted to "force" technical content to "articles" rather than "discussion" on their forum.  Why?  Still makes no sense to me, since one of their sub-headings on their own forum is "Technical Discussion" !!!

In my opinion, and also of some of their own members, they chose a truly poor template & software, no "quote" replies, no emoticons, no pms, poor colors...

We will not have to face that because your C34IA Officers & Board agree it would be the wrong thing to do.  You may also be aware that because of the great support of our C34IA members, we provided a free year of membership last year.  :clap  I report our membership figures each quarter in Mainsheet magazine, and it has been steady and slowly rising.

We appreciate the continuing support from our members which enables us to maintain this website and provide Mainsheet magazine to our members.

My "gut feel" is that posts on the C36 forum are way down since this change.  FYI, many C36 skippers posted their opposition to the changes, too.

But, yet again, it is their website, and they are free to do what it is they feel might work for them.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SailingJackson

Locked out?  I thought the site went dead.  Over the past few weeks, every time I looked at the forum I saw 0 messages, 0 posts, so I just assumed the server was messed up.  Sure enough, if I login the forum lists active discussions.  I'm a paid member but I had never bothered to login unless I had something to say.

Locking out the public is certainly stupid, but making it look like there is zero content to outsiders is far beyond stupid, it's moronic.  I cannot imagine renewing with the C36 group when they run things like that.  Will the C34 group admit lowly ex-patriot C36 sailors?

G. Jackson
C36 MK II

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SailingJackson on June 29, 2014, 07:27:36 PMWill the C34 group admit lowly ex-patriot C36 sailors?

G. Jackson
C36 MK II

Of course you're welcome to be here, we look forward to your participation.  Lowly?  Never!  :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

lazybone

Quote from: SailingJackson on June 29, 2014, 07:27:36 PM
Locked out?  I thought the site went dead.  Over the past few weeks, every time I looked at the forum I saw 0 messages, 0 posts, so I just assumed the server was messed up.  Sure enough, if I login the forum lists active discussions.  I'm a paid member but I had never bothered to login unless I had something to say.

Locking out the public is certainly stupid, but making it look like there is zero content to outsiders is far beyond stupid, it's moronic.  I cannot imagine renewing with the C36 group when they run things like that.  Will the C34 group admit lowly ex-patriot C36 sailors?

G. Jackson
C36 MK II

There's an initiation fee.
How old are your children?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

HowLin

Here's a sad thing...  I am a paid member and often contribute to the forum with ideas, information and the odd technical article.  Sadly; I too will NOT rejoin when my current membership runs out.  I tried to voice my concerns over this decision - a decision that was made by a few members who happen to be on the executive, WITHOUT a vote or input from the paying members.  Most all comments I have read about the members-only decision and implementation of the new forum software (although it is improving each day) are negative - but, damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead, no one wants to admit maybe this was a flawed idea...
So sad really - I did really like the site and the way it was - I never heard anyone complain that it needed changes, but after next year when my C36 membership expires I will most likely be spending much more time here to get and share information.

H. M.
----------------------------
Howard & Linda
S/V 'Silhouette' - Nanaimo, BC
C36MkII - #1776 1999 M35BC

Channel Islander

Don't be sad!

The C36/C375 International Association has made a slight course correction and our website is now readable by anyone in its entirety, including all forum posts. Posting to the forums requires membership, just like here.

We welcome anyone to visit, or return, even the nattering nabobs of negativity who jumped ship and came to other sites to complain about the volunteers who give their time and energy to administer the Association. You will probably enjoy the congenial culture, free of the insults and non-constructive criticism that plague so many on-line communities these days.

- Nick Tonkin
  Assistant Webmonkey C36/375IA

lazybone

Quote from: Channel Islander on July 05, 2014, 09:57:30 AM
Don't be sad!

The C36/C375 International Association has made a slight course correction and our website is now readable by anyone in its entirety, including all forum posts. Posting to the forums requires membership, just like here.

We welcome anyone to visit, or return, even the nattering nabobs of negativity who jumped ship and came to other sites to complain about the volunteers who give their time and energy to administer the Association. You will probably enjoy the congenial culture, free of the insults and non-constructive criticism that plague so many on-line communities these days.

- Nick Tonkin

Hate to say it because you already know it, but those "nattering nabobs of negativity" made you see your error.

You should be thanking them.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

mainesail

Don't be sad!

- Nick Tonkin

I find that to be a completely rude comment for a C-36 officer/assistant web master especially when many of those "nattering nabobs of negativity" are some of your own members........

By the way some of us did not "jump ship" we were forced off the plank... :thumb:

You will probably enjoy the congenial culture, free of the insults and non-constructive criticism that plague so many on-line communities these days.

If I am not mistaken there is a thread on the C-36 site just like this one where your members are showing they too don't like the decisions and are voicing them no differently than here....?? I also thought my post offered some very constructive points to consider not just blank criticism. Perhaps it was constructive enough to help elicit changes....?

Thank you for opening the forum back up to readers but how about contributors or potential buyers to ask questions or contribute answers.  This is what made the C-36 forums great in the first place.......
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Stu Jackson

Posting to the forums requires membership, just like here.

That's simply not true.  

To join our C34IA Forum/Main Message Board, all you have to do is sign up.  It's free.

We're here to share and learn.

If you'd like to support the C34IA, all are very welcome to join the IA and get Mainsheet magazine as well as gain access to the C34 Tech Notes Online from 1987.

tommyt

Nattering nabobs? How condescending can you be? It seems that the volunters that "administer" the C36 website attempted a overthrow and were overthrown quickly. Congratulations to the members  and advisors that got this changed. Thanks to the people that administer this site, both for your time and reasoning.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

windward

As a C36 owner I too am very upset with the C-36 board.  The forum was a great exchange of ideas and had a lot of references the the C34 site.  I will now be viewing the C34 site with great interest.  I still think the C36 and C34 are the best looking and best all around boats in the Catalina fleet.  Keep up the good work.

chachere

As you may have known [see "Sad about the C-36 forum..." http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8116.0.html ] the C36IA's website went through a major revamp and, along the way, a policy decision to close the forums to non-members. 

Quite a few C36IA members (myself included) lobbied to revert back to the prior policy of access to all, and our association's leadership responded. See http://www.catalina36.org/forum/update-c36375ia-commodore

Thus, as of July 17, 2014, "The forums are now fully open to all registered users of the site. (Except the Association Discussion forums, which are restricted to Association Members)." See http://www.catalina36.org/comment/55629#comment-55629