Adding a Washdown Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

On our new to us 1996 C34 Mark II I am installing a wash down pump with the line terminating in the anchor locker.    I have mounted the pump on a board outboard of the water heater and hope to use one of the existing through hulls under the galley as a source.  We also lack a sea water pump at the galley and need to plumb this in, somewhere.

As I recall, one of these through hulls is the sink drain and the other handles the ice box and shower sump.   Can I tee the ice box and shower into the sink drain and use their through hull or will there be too much back pressure resulting in a full sink?   I considered teeing into the sink drain meaning I would need to pour enough water down to clear the water column of debris before starting the pump or I would be pumping last night's dirty dish water into the wash down pumps filter.   Eventually I would forget and create a nasty mess.   

Or just wait until we haul this fall and drill a hole?

Dietrich Floeter
1996 C34 Wing
Name TBD
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Roc

Dietrich,
The shower/ice box thru hull lets water out.  You are sucking water in.  My guess is you'll need a Y-valve, so when you want to use the washdown pump, you can set the Y-valve for the appropriate action.  I believe Forespar makes Y-valves. 

I too want to add a washdown pump (someday) and had two thoughts.  One is to pick the water up just like you are thinking, using the shower/ice box thru hull as the supply, with a pump mounted near the water heater.  The other idea is to have the pump mounted below the foredeck (where the windlass is mounted), with a coupling that a hose can be inserted.  A thru bulkhead fitment would be placed, for this hose, and the outlet hose for the sprayer  Both hoses can be left in the anchor locker and the supply hose can be thrown over the bow as a supply for the washdown pump.  There would be a filter mounted on the end of that hose.  Doing this requires no thru hull.  The supply hose is close to the pump.  So minimal loss of pressure. 

Interested to here feedback on these two options.......
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Dave Spencer

Dietrich,
Welcome to the forum.  I only have one through hull under the galley sink for the sink drain.  The icebox drain was tee'd into the sink drain but I disconnected this since I have refrigeration and don't need to pump melt water.  
I would be cautious about teeing into the sink drain for washdown pump suction.  It's easy to see how you could end up sucking air through the sink drains rather than sucking water from the through hull.  This could be eased by plugging both sink drains whenever you use the washdown pump but, over time, I'm sure that approach will be unsatisfactory.
My PO installed a washdown pump mounted near the port side bureau at the v berth with a dedicated through hull under the forward port settee.  The washdown pump is fantastic... you'll love it.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

cmainprize

We mounted our wash down pump under the head sink and tied into the head intake.  Also added a strainer basket just above the static water line.  Makes it easy to winterized by shutting off the intake and running the pump.  A couple of strokes on the head and it's done as well.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ted Pounds

What I did, since I was on the Great Lakes like you are, was to replace the macerator pump with a washdown pump.  The pumps had the same footprint and all the wiring and plumbing was right there.  Worst part was closing off the holding tank... 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

dfloeter

Thanks for the great input. A Y valve is seeming the best way to go with this issue.  No macerator was ever installed or even plumbed for, thereby eliminating that option.    The under sink plumbing is nicely accessible unlike our previous Cat 30 making the job easy.   
The next issue is how to bring sea water to the galley sink.   The best solution I have come up with yet is a T off the pressure side of the wash down pump to a small faucet.  There does not appear to be enough space below the sole for a toe pump and a Gusher foot pump won't gracefully fit either.   

The upgrading continues.  I mostly installed a Victran battery monitor yesterday, the new Balmar 120 amp is coming and the list goes on. 

Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Andrew Harvey

Ted,
I also removed the macerator pump a long time aqo and capped the the thru hull.
How is your hose set up/connected ?
Did you install a deck fitting of some type ?
Andrew Harvey

Ted Pounds

I ran a hose, following the wire chase up and along the port side, to the anchor locker.  In the locker I terminated it with a hose connecter that came with a backing plate.  I think I got it from Defender.  It came with a screw on cap, but no valve.  the way I used it was I would remove the cap, connect the hose and nozzle, then turn on power to the pump (after opening the thru-hull).  Reverse the procedure for turning off. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mick Laver

I know this is an old topic, but after removing six inches of muck from the bottom of my chain locker and spending a half hour cleaning out the drain, I figured it was time for a washdown pump to rinse the chain and anchor before they came onboard. Right now I just have the pump rigged so I can throw the intake hose overboard, clip the connectors on the battery, and fire away. Works pretty well, actually, but not a permanent solution. An obvious mounting location for the pump on our boat would be under the head sink, but for the life of me I can't see an obvious path for a 1/2" hose to the anchor locker. Ted mentions going from the macerator area on a Mk I, but that's not really an option for me. Anyone made this mod on a Mk II (or on a Mk I if the hull layout is that similar)? Thanks.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Roc

Mick
It's an easy run from the head sink to the bow.  You can run it right behind the toilet tissue holder, to the area behind the hanging locker, through the 3 storage bins behind the port settee.  From there you can enter the clothes locker on the port side in the V-berth.  From there into the bow.  I've run A/C ducts through that same path.

Mick Laver

Thanks, Roc. I'll take another look. Just knowing it can be done is a great help. Did you use the conduit that runs through the storage bins or just parallel it somehow? My conduit might take a few more wires but not a hose, as far as I can tell.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

WindyT

Quote from: Dave Spencer on June 24, 2014, 09:44:32 AM
Dietrich,
  The icebox drain was tee'd into the sink drain but I disconnected this since I have refrigeration and don't need to pump melt water.

Don't you get condensate in the fridge regardless? I've got refrigeration but have yet to find a reason to disconnect that icebox pump as it may serve a purpose over time (condensate, cleaning, etc)
Annie C  1990 C34  Hull #1041   Charleston, SC

Roc

Hi Mick,
I had to drill 6" holes from storage bin to storage bin to run the A/C duct.  As I think about it, you may be able to run the 1/2" hose along the hull, passing low where the toilet tissue holder is. From there, you can go to the hanging locker and straight to where the holding tank is. You might need to drill a small hole to get to the separate lazarette in front of the holding tank.  From there you can get to the locker on the port side of the v-berth.  Once there, it's easy to get to the bow area.

Mick Laver

Hi Roc,
I checked this out today. I think the "southern route" outboard of the holding tank is the way to go. It's an easy path to the holding tank area and there's even a small hose-sized gap to to the laz forward (our "wine cellar", btw). Two small holes in the port locker and we should be good to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA