2 line reefing

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

I want to set up my 2 line reefing. I have the picture from the manual and I am still scratching my head with the set up. I looked thru threads here and don't see a basic explantation (I'm sure it's there like everything else, I just don't have the time to keep looking).
As I see it, I need tie bowline to boom block becket, up to reef cringle, then what? Does it simply loop thru cringle and back down to block? Why does the manual show a dotted line like it is going on the port side of the sail. Do I put a cheek block on the cringle?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

Yes line runs on the other side....  have you seen this?

c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Reefing

KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Set2sea

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 17, 2014, 07:18:02 PM
Yes line runs on the other side....  have you seen this?

c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Reefing

KK
Yes, I did see that before I posted but doesn't answer my question
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Jeff Tancock

I don't have the manual handy, but from memory you have the right idea. Bow line on the block, around the bottom of the boom, up through the cringle, back down and through the block, then forward along the boom to a cleat. The two reefing lines run parallel but through different cringles, blocks and to different cleats. The dotted line probably represents the line running behind the sail, so out of sight from your view point.
Mine are there, ready and run to and through the center of the cleats with a knot to keep them there.
It is a simple but functional set up but it does require that you go forward to snug the clew after you have lowered the main.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Set2sea

Thanks Jeff! I knew it was simple. I have it now, thank you.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma