M25XP Engine Oil Level

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

I've noticed everytime I check the oil level, the first time I pull the dipstick the oil level reads zero.   I dip the stick back in and get a full reading.  The first time this happened, I thought I was leaking or using oil so I filled a half quart.  Dipped the stick in and was over filled.  I suspect I'm not the only one who's noticed this but hope it will help new owners to not overfill.  Still don't know how this can possibly happen but it does...

Gary

Hi Mark,

This change in oil level is most likely this: There is a small oil seal on the dipstick to prevent oil from coming out of the tube. It can create an air seal that prevents oil in the pan from rising in the dipstick tube. When you get to the boat with a cold engine, pull the dipstick and wait for a few seconds for oil to rise in the dipstick tube. Place the stick back in and you will then have an accurate measurement.

With a warm engine, the same thing, pull the stick, wipe it, and then re-measure. That will allow oil to rise in the tube.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Fuzzy

Mine does the same thing Mark.  Also wonder, is the empty mark WAY at the bottom of the dip stick? Hard to. tell if the mark is the low limit or an I or a 1.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

patrice

Hi,

Never notice this, since when checking oil level, I always pull out the stick, clean it and them insert back and pull to check oil level.

:abd:
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

chuck53

Mine does the same thing, but if I recall, it only happens the first oil check of the spring before I crank it up.  The rest of the spring/summer, oil shows up on the dipstick, hot or cold.
The first time it happened, really freaked me out.  Now I've come to expect it.

Stu Jackson

There's a seal on the dipstick.  Remove it, wait a moment, reinsert and then measure.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mark : As mentioned - There is a seal on the top of the dipstick that keeps the oil from coming up in the dipstick tube.

Just do like I hope you do when checking your auto's oil -- Lift out the dipstick and wipe it off, then reinsert and look at the oil level in the stick.  
I surely hope that you don't just pull out the dipstick on your auto and take that oil on the stick for an accurate reading?!?

No different than checking your auto's engine oil level!! 
Ron, Apache #788

KINGAIR350

this even happens on the tractor it's pretty normal so says the dealer. And the guys are right,there is a slight vaccum that does indicate low 1 qt. 

Indian Falls

When the engine is running the oil level is below the the bottom of the dipstick tube because oil is in the galleys and up in the rocker cover area after running up the push rods.  Thus the oil runs out of the dipstick tube.
If your dipstick seal is airtight the oil will not go back up the tube after you stop the engine.
yeah i know, beating a dead horse here.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ron Hill

Dan : You forgot to mention that if your dipstick is not air tight - you'll have one hell of a mess of BLACK oil on the starboard side and under the engine!!

Don't ever forget to insure that the dip stick is seated all the way!!!!
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

If there is that much crankcase pressure to blow oil out the tube
then there is a crank breather problem.
In the past I've found my dipstick rattling around loose in the tube and no oil came out.
I'm pretty sure the stopper type seal is to keep vapor in and dirt out.
Could be if you over filled by doing hot oil level checks, it'll just blow it out?
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ron Hill

Dan : I beg to differ.  
The splashing oil WILL come out of the dip stick tube if the dip stick is not seated. pressure was is the problem!! 
That's why on some aircraft engines there is a hitch pin to insure the cap/dipstick can not come loose!!

Believe me!!  
Ron, Apache #788