Seaward, Kuuma & Atwood Hot Water Heaters

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

Hello All:
I've read most of the post RE: water heater replacement but many are from a couple years ago.  I haven't been able to find a replacement for my WH configured like mine (HX hookups on the rear of WH)
Question:  Has anyone had issues making the bend in the front of the WH to hook up the 5/8 HX hoses?  Will I need to find preformed elbows?

All help appreciated!

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

Stu Jackson

Steve, no you shouldn't have any need for elbows.  The reason will be apparent if you look.  Get a mirror and stick it down in front of the heater.  There's plenty of room for a wiiide turn for the hoses.  If you feel you need to, buy two elbows, not an issue for flow.  The larger question is why you can't find one with rear outlets.  I got mine less than a year ago, from Sure Marine in Seattle, Model S600 with rear heat exchanger connections.  Best price from anywhere else, even including the shipping.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

Awe CRAP!
I talked to Atwood and they don't make a rear HX any more.  Called West Marine and they don't have one.  The configuration is different on West Marine's so I didn't think they used Atwood for a MFG.

See, I should have checked here first!   I swear, When my ship finally comes in, I'll probably be at the
airport!  :cry4`

Anyhow, $215 with shipping (+ the governor's beer money) seemed in the ball park.

Thanks Stu for the info.  I have guessed that it would be prudent for me to replace my HX hoses at the same time as they are probably OEM.

Steve

visit us at: www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

"A gun is kind of like a parachute.if you need one and don't have one,
you'll probably never need one again"

Stu Jackson

Ahh, you didn't say Atwood.  Most of us, except for IIRC the older boats, came with Seaward heaters, which do have the option, to this day... :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : Said this before, the Seaward water heater was made by Atwood with a Seaward label on it !!

Whale brand water heaters are now made to the same size and inlet specs as Seaward had.  Don't know if Whale or someone else makes it for them (most likely the later).

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

Interesting Stu

My heater is a Seaward, but the manufacturer and model number are Atwood.

Seaward label on the front top but the serial, model plate/sticker are Atwood.

Steve

Stu Jackson

Great part about this forum, one learns something new every day.  My original understanding was that the Atwood heaters were round, and that the Seawards were the square gray ones.

Ron Hill

Stu : Atwood made/makes both round and square water heaters.

All : Don't bother talking to Atwood customer service, as they are of little help.  
Instead talk to a RV parts dealer if you have water heater parts questions - believe me!!
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

It may be a supply demand issue.  Rear input are advertised, but when I replaced mine last fall, I got the only one in West Marine's inventory and had to wait several days to get it shipped to Fla.  As more start failing, demand will go up and maybe they'll make a few more.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Ken,

I remember your experience from last December.  I mentioned then that I had no problem finding a Seaward replacement, there are many, many available online that I had no trouble finding.  IIRC, you were "in a different boat" as far as availability and need was concerned.   :D

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7893.0.html

Long story short:  Seaward still makes them with both connections available.

Stu Jackson

FYI - I split this from the older How to Burp Your Engine topic (still in the 101 Topics so should be easy to find) and renamed it for clarity.

Roger Rathbun

This may be stretching this topic but ....
Has anyone ever tried to install an ISOTEMP SPA 30 Marine Water Heater 8 Gallon (21" by 15")
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234308|2234311&id=2357736
This looks like a nice system (relative to my rusty old Seaward) and it has nice temperature control.

Yes it would take lots of surgery:
cut the rounds of the door opening (same door might go back on)
lower or remove the present shelf
shorten or remove the shelf for the pressure pump (like in Mike Vaccaro's article)
http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/May_2008.pdf

I've done lots of measuring and it might work. However with my current problems, this would be a ways off!
BTW all the Seawards are shown on Defender as well.

Former owner of 1987 C34 Mk1 #647 GALATEA III  09-2000 to 09-2016
Std rig, Wing Keel, M25XP
Nanaimo/Whistler BC

Stu Jackson

Roger, IIRC Isotemp makes an even smaller one than 8 gallon.  If they do, and since they keep the water so hot and have the thermostatic mixing valve, I'd bet you could do well with the smaller one which might present less physical issues.

Indian Falls

I bought a Kuuma 6 gal with rear in/out for engine coolant.  In 2009.  Still available.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?