fuel tank movement

Previous topic - Next topic

garyw

Hi

On my catalina 34  1986 , I was looking for leaks in the aft compartment , so I removed the wooden partition between the compartment which has the fuel tank and the aft cabin.   AFter going for a few sails and not moving the partition back,  I now notice that the fuel tank has shifted slightly into the aft cabin so that it is more difficult to put  the wooden partition back.   

Would it be best that I just push the tank back into place if I can or should I be concerned that the tank which is full actually shifted. It seems really heavy to push back ,  so not sure I can actually push it back into position.

Thanks

Gary W

Ron Hill

Gary : It sounds as though you need to get that tank back in place and tighten the screws on the hold down bracket!
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

My tank is fixed to the fiberglass shelf only at one end.  I think they assume it won't/can't go anywhere.  I contemplated strapping the aft end of the tank, but was out of time and needed the boat in one piece.  They only used some stainless wood screws to hold the front of the tank to the shelf.  It's no surprise yours is moving about.  Throw some epoxy in the screw holes and then screw your tank down after its cured.  Add a strap to other end or just see if the front bracket will hold it as intended.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

garyw

The front is secured with the metal brace ; it is the aft part that moved and it's possible to push it back into place with a lot of force
but it seems that the wooden divider between the tank compartment and the aft compartment is what is holding it in place, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.    Also when I push against the tank , in an effort to move it the laminate  that it rests on also moves such that it appears to be stuck to the bottom of the tank.   

Stu Jackson

Gary, ITWMB, I'd simply get a wooden wedge and push it in to hold it in, and replace that wall.  It really isn't going to go anywhere.  You could also take Ron's suggestion if you choose to do so.  Just make sure that there's no moisture underneath.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve W10

When I first got the boat, I thought it weird that the tank wasn't really well secured, so I took a bit of aluminum from a old step guard (you know the piece you might put at the top of your stairs that is very durable and less likely to slip on).

I cut a piece of that and secured it to the plywood to prevent the aft part of tank from moving.  Heck even a few inches of old hockey stick would've worked, no one sees it.

Don't think it was required, but I felt good about it at the time. :)

Just in case it interests you.

Steve

pablosgirl

Hi Gary,

I replaced my fuel tank this past January and did what Steve W. did when I put the tank back in.  I used some alum angle I bought at Home Depot, probably way over kill.  As stiff as the fill hose is I am surprised the tank moved at all.  I would just shove the tank back in place and put either a wood cleat (hockey stick) or a metal bracket to hold the aft end of the tank in place for piece of mind.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP