Engine oil level

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent & Jane Overbeck

At what point does overfilling become a problem.  At times I end up 1/4 " above the full mark on the dipstick.  In the past I have pumped some oil out to correct the level, but I wonder if this is necessary for what seems to be a very small overage.  My motor is a M35B and I can never get much more than 3 1/2 quarts out using the hose connected to the oil pan drain at what seems to be the low point.  The engine is hot, the filler cap off and I can hear sucking air.  Is there oil hiding out in my engine?

Kent & Jane Overbeck

With no responses, I will follow the manual and keep oil level between the low and full marks.  It also seems that other M35B owners have the same result when changing oil.  They are only able to get a little over 3 1/2 quarts out including what is in the filter.  I guess it is just a characteristic of this motor and I will quit worrying about it.

Les Luzar

Kent,
I have an M25XP and all I would say is I would not over fill it. Second, when I change my oil I get out about 3 quarts, more or less. I don't know how many quarts of oil the M35 takes, but you will never get it all out, so get out as much as you can, change the filter and then, as you say, don't worry about it. Just change your oil once a year and then "go sailing."  :D
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Les : Your oil pan oil tube drain on a M25XP is in a completely different place (fwd) than Kent's M35BC engines' oil drain (in the rear)!!

Kent : I'd let the oil on the dipstick be above the mark by about 1/2 inch.  Because the engine and transmission are at an angle I'd fill and error on the over-fill rather than on the under-fill marks.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mick Laver

Hi Kent and Jane,
I only get about 3.6 qt in my M35BC as well. After pumping it dry as I can and changing the oil filter, I'll put in about 3.5 qt. Then I'll run the engine about 5 minutes and let it sit for another 5 before checking the level. Usually it only takes a little bit to bring it up to the full mark. Is a quarter inch over OK? Probably, but I'm inclined to "sneak up" to the full and no more.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Kent & Jane Overbeck

Thanks for all of your comments.  I presently do what Mick does but occasionally put a little too much in.  This last time I only removed about 4-6 oz to get to the "full" mark.  Will be more careful in the future but not worry if I go a little over.