Freedom 10 Inverter/Charger Issues

Previous topic - Next topic

dselec

My '99 mkII, hull #1450, is equipped with an older model (black cabinet and instruction manual dated 2/98) Freedom 10 Inverter/Charger with remote control panel.

It appears that the inverter is always on, even when the power switches on both the inverter and remote panel are both switched off.
With shore power disconnected, the 1-2-ALL-OFF switch in the OFF position and both the inverter and remote switches off, the microwave clock is running and there is an 800mA load on the batteries. When I pop out the "BATTERY CHARGER" breaker on the Catalina electrical panel, the microwave clock turns off and battery load current drops to zero.

To be safe, I disconnected the positive battery cables when leaving the boat yesterday hoping to get some opinions/comments from this group.
Dave Siegel
1999 C34 mkII, hull #1450
Home Port: St. Clair Shores, MI

Stu Jackson

It would be difficult to help analyze this issue without a wiring diagram.  I have the old manuals, which included some wiring diagrams in the back of the manual.  Do you know how it is wired in?  The "basic" was was to run the AC power TO the Freedom first, since it has a built in transfer switch.  The DC heavy wire output should go to the house bank.  If you can help clarify that, we can start to help you.

Also, what are you using to measure the 800mA draw?  A battery monitor?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Mark,  what is your inverter idle circuit set for?  Is the power switch on the unit off?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

dselec

Hi Stu,
I measured the current on the house bank positive cable with a Fluke 325 clamp-on meter.
There is no wiring diagram and the connections are not labeled. To further complicate, I had an outside company winterize the boat and they did not label the battery cables when they removed them. I traced them out and labeled this spring when I changed from 4x6V batteries to 2X12V for house bank. I am about 98% sure they are connected correctly.
When shore power is connected, battery voltage ramps up to about 14.5V on house bank and start battery (measured with Fluke 87V meter) so the charger appears to be functioning.
I realize that without a complete diagram it is impossible to guarantee things are correct. At some point I am going to have to trace everything out and document.
Having zero experience with the Heart Freedom 100 is what prompted me to ask the members of this group for ideas and advice.

Dave
Dave Siegel

Stu Jackson

Dave,

I understand.  But there just aren't a whole lot of C34 skippers here on the this board with Freedom units.  Most of them bought Truecharges, or stayed with the OEM Charles chargers.

Just for interests sake, where is your Freedom mounted?  When we got ours, Al Watson back east and I were doing the same things at the same time and ended up putting them on the outside wall below the nav station.

As afar as wiring, I'd check the incoming AC, pretty simple:  work backwards from the AC breaker on the panel TO the Freedom.  The only DC outputs are two huge wires to the battery bank.

Good luck.

dselec

My Freedom 10 is mounted under the galley sink.
Thanks for the help - I will trace out the connections.
Dave Siegel