Sail stop track..

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

I was putting my main on for the first time this season and realized I was missing the dang sail stopper in the slide. Catalina direct didn't have it listed. Anyone know where I can order one ..
Thanks,
Ron

Noah

As a easy replacement, I would think you could just use a stainless round head or hex head bolt instead of the thumb screw. You will just need a screw driver or wrench on the few occasions you have to remove the main.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Paulus

I believe Harken has them.  I saw one at Torresen Marine in Muskegon and they carry the Harken line of hardware.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

chuck53

A hex bolt is what is on my boat.  Was there when I bought it.

David Comando

I put the stopper in my pocket after I took the sails off. I winterized and covered KS. I realized that I had it... too late. I put the stopper in my truck door pocket. The truck went away to college (Rochester, NY) with my daughter. I picked her up from college. Got the stopper out of the car door, took out the hex bolt I used in the meantime. Now all is well.
Dave
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Stu Jackson

And the Award for Most Creative Solution goes to... :clap :clap :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Les Luzar

I have a bolt removable with a flat head screwdriver. Don't forget to use Lanocote on the threads.... :D
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Ron : You can use a simple 1" stainless bolt to do the job!!  Just "bugger up" the threads so it can't go in too far!!
I'll guess at 1/4" 20.  Maybe a bit larger?
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

RonE

Indian Falls.. thank you very much
Ron
Stolen Moments

Indian Falls

Ron,make sure you identify the thread in  your mast before you order... I linked for the 1/4-20.  I checked mine and its 5/16-18.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

tommyt

Interesting! I was always taught to pull out the bottom two slugs when reefing the main. It lays flatter and puts much less stress on the sail was the reasoning. Has worked for me for ten years.

However, after the first couple of times reefing it became a pain to pull the bolt each time, and knowing myself I knew that I would lose the bolt soon and have to replace it. With that in mind I went to WW, bought a couple of quick release pins ( the type with spring bearings at the end). Made sure the pin had a retainer line that could be fastened to the mast so I would not lose it. This has worked great for me for 10 years, it is much easier for me to reef, and I have yet to lose it. It is also quick and easy to pull the pin and drop the sail when needed.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."