changing out my Racor filter

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

That's cool - something else to put on the Father's Day gift list.  Better than a tie for sure. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

BillG

Chuck, I used to change that filter every year as part of the annual maintenance and I don't recall ever having to shut the fuel off. pretty sure that my memory is good on that.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

chuck53

Quote from: BillG on May 23, 2014, 06:30:13 AM
Chuck, I used to change that filter every year as part of the annual maintenance and I don't recall ever having to shut the fuel off. pretty sure that my memory is good on that.

Bill, good to hear from you.  I'm sorry to say that this is the first time I have changed my fuel filters, but the engine runs good without any hiccups at all.
I'm sure if you had turned off the valve, you would remember.  There's no way I can reach it through the sink cabinet or crawl far enough into the port locker to reach into the inspection port.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: chuck53 on May 23, 2014, 08:56:46 AM
There's no way I can reach it through the sink cabinet or crawl far enough into the port locker to reach into the inspection port.

I've heard this many, many times.  I still have difficulty understanding it, because the Beckson plate is mid-way across the width of the port locker to be able to be "somewhere close" to above the shut off valve.  No one I know could reach it from underneath the head sink, even a basketball player!   :D

Like this:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6760.msg45303.html#msg45303

Perhaps the factory put the hole in the wrong place.  Coulda happened.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 23, 2014, 09:47:54 AM
Quote from: chuck53 on May 23, 2014, 08:56:46 AM
There's no way I can reach it through the sink cabinet or crawl far enough into the port locker to reach into the inspection port.

I've heard this many, many times.  I still have difficulty understanding it, because the Beckson plate is mid-way across the width of the port locker to be able to be "somewhere close" to above the shut off valve.  No one I know could reach it from underneath the head sink, even a basketball player!   :D

My Beckson port is all the way over to the side of the boat, not mid-way in the locker.  I saw the picture of the guy laying in the locker.  I could probably lay in the locker like that on my back, but unfortunately, my arm won't bend backwards to reach into the port.  The only way you could reach the shut off valve would be to lay on your stomach to reach in and there is no way in hell that I can fit in that locker on my stomach to do it.  Like I said, I could probably get some young teenager that is a lot smaller than me to do it, but seems like I won't have to turn it off as the PO never did when he changed his filters.

Stu Jackson

Chuck, sorry to hear the factory put the Beckson in the wrong place.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 23, 2014, 12:00:04 PM
Chuck, sorry to hear the factory put the Beckson in the wrong place.

If I get down on my hands and knees in the head, I can see the shut off valve as well as the Beckson port.  The port is several inches off to the side of the valve, not over it.  I really don't think even a small teenager could reach the valve, meaning I would have to remove the aft cabin panel that hides the fuel tank.

But since the PO never turned it off when changing filters, I guess I don't have to either.

Ron Hill

Chuck : Yes, do nothing until you change a Racor filter and it siphons and you are in panic to shut off the dripping/running fuel!!
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 25, 2014, 02:54:38 PM
Chuck : Yes, do nothing until you change a Racor filter and it siphons and you are in panic to shut off the dripping/running fuel!!

Ron, I hear what you are saying but if you go up about 5-6 posts to the one from BillG, he's the previous owner of my boat and had it for a number of years before selling to me.  He says he never turned off the fuel valve and never had any issues.  I have no reason not to believe him.

I will have a pair of vice grips (with something to act as a pad) close at hand just in case. 

I really don't won't to tear my aft cabin apart just to get to the valve if I don't have to.

Clay Greene

You're going to want to have lots of paper towels underneath the filter assembly regardless of the siphon issue - the bowl is going to be full of diesel and some inevitably is going to drip.  Loosen it slowly and see what happens.  If Ron is right and fuel is siphoning through the filter assembly, you should be able to tighten it back up with little fuel loss and then you can take the aft panel off to close the valve.

I am betting your boat is like ours and it is not necessary to close the valve but I wouldn't ever put real money down against either Stu or Ron.   
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

Chuck52 : Obviously BillG (PO) kept his fuel tank at a low level so the fuel was below the height of the mounted Racor. 
Look under the head sink and look at the fuel tank and you can decide. 
Most prudent sailor keep their fuel tank topped off so you get less condensation and then less "nasties" are growing in the fuel.  Your choice

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

BillG

Chuck, my email address is still the same, wlgski   @ aol,  send me an email and I will send you some further info.
Bill
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

patrice

Just a taught, couldn't you take a piece like your boat hook and try to close the valve by the door under the head sink ?
I have not look at this, but may be possible....  :donno:
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

chuck53

Quote from: patrice on May 29, 2014, 08:51:05 AM
Just a taught, couldn't you take a piece like your boat hook and try to close the valve by the door under the head sink ?
I have not look at this, but may be possible....  :donno:

Good thought but I'm pretty sure the valve is fairly small and really needs the dexterity of a hand to open/close it.

Ron Hill

Pat & Chuck : Let us know how much maneuvering you can do with a boat hook thru the door opening under the head sink - aught to be some interesting gyrations.

BTW, the cutoff on the top of the fuel is NOT a ball valve, rather it's a gate valve!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788