changing out my Racor filter

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : The simplest way to solve the fuel shut off is to install a ball valve in the fuel line under the head sink!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

OK, can anyone tell me the size of the fuel line so I can buy a cut off valve to put inline?

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

Clay Greene

I never turned off the fuel valve when changing the Racor filter and I never had a problem with diesel continuing to flow.  No fuel ran through our filter unless the key was turned and the fuel pump was operating.  Our Racor was between our fuel pump and the fuel tank and was higher than the tank.    Never had any need to bleed the system of air from changing the Racor either.  Only needed to bleed the system when we changed the spin-on filter on the engine. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Noah

I (sorry Stu) agree. I watched my professional mechanic do it on my boat recently, WITHOUT turning off the fuel tank valve and not a drop of fuel was spilled. He put a small bucket under the Racor to empty the bowl into and catch any drips from that operation. No bleeding issues either. I believe fuel won't get past the electric fuel pump, at least the way it is mounted on my boat. Maybe not the same with yours.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

chuck53

OK guys, all good info here.  so just where is the fuel pump typically mounted on a C34.  mine is an '87.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

CAVEAT: it may depend where your Facet fuel pump is mounted; before or after your Racor, as to wether it stops the flow of fuel and thus spillage. My Racor filter is last in line, albeit a configuration that is discourage by some on this Forum.  This may be the reason it "works" for me without shutting off the fuel line???
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on May 20, 2014, 04:06:16 PM
My Racor filter is last in line, albeit a configuration that is discourage by some on this Forum.  

Noah, is it not discouraged by some on this forum.  It IS discouraged by the filter manufacturers and we are passing along their recommendations.  In addition, logic dictates that the Racor filters be used as the primary filter, not the teeny-weeny-itsy-bitsy filter on the bottom of the fuel pump.  "Your boat, your choice" is NOT operable in this instance.  It's also why we keep harping on it and added it to the Critical Upgrades, http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg32616.html#msg32616.  We try to be patient in repeating these things, because there are now new owners of older boats, and their POs may not have been "exposed" to this website.  We welcome them all and hope they take advantage of the the Forum and the sticky topics, especially Critical Upgrades, which we feel, in many cases, are safety issues.  For example, if your engine shuts down because your tiny fuel pump filter is your first filter, you probably won't be a happy sailor.

Noah

I was not touting the merits of the fuel pump placement, (before or after the Racor) nor the filtration benefits. I was just conjecturing if its placement has an impact on whether fuel continues to flow into the Racor without the engine running.  I welcome all experienced opinions, as I am new to this boat. I was planning on upgrading my Racor to a newer Parker drop-in canister model (like Susan did on Tranquility recently), at my next scheduled filter change. After the initial investment, the subsequent filter changes are a lot cheaper.  I may relocate the fuel pump behind the Racor at that time, after evaluating all of the info and opinions, including that of my master mechanic, who curiously, thought my pump's current placement was "correct". Lots to consider. Always learning!
Standard Rig

Clay Greene

Our Racor was between the fuel tank and the fuel pump.  Both the fuel pump and the Racor were inside the head door. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

Guys : If the fuel tank is over 1/2 full the fuel will syphon!!

The simplest thing is to get a ball valve with a NPT to screw into the Racor filter inlet and the other end of the ball valve should have barbed 3/8" adapter to go into the fuel hose. 

This all has been written up before!   
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 21, 2014, 05:10:14 PM
Guys : If the fuel tank is over 1/2 full the fuel will syphon!!

Right now, my tank is less than 1/4 full.  Can I get away with not having to turn off my fuel valve?  life would be so much easier if I didn't have to do that just to replace my Racor.

Albreen

I don't mean to hijack this thread with another thought - just adding to this conversation. I installed this Racor pressure gauge a few seasons ago and do not now routinely change out the filter every year because I found I didn't need to. The absence of an increase in pressure at the gauge indicates the filter is good for more time. So far, so good.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain