changing out my Racor filter

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck53

OK, I want to replace my Racor.  Instruction #1... Shut off fuel valve.  Makes sense, but how in the heck to you get to it?  I can see it when opening my sink cabinet door in the head, but I'm pretty sure my arm is no where long enough to reach it.  I know there is an access port inside my lazarette, but again, my body ain't going to fit in there in order to reach it.  Am I going to have to take the port side panel in the aft cabin down to get to it?

Stu Jackson

Chuck, on my boat I empty or clear the port locker of stuff, open the round Beckson port there, and the shut off valve is right below that hole.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

thanks Stu.  There's no way I can fit in there to reach that access port in the back of the locker.  There's a kid at the marina who's 6" shorter and probably 90 lbs lighter than me.  I'm sure he'd like to make a quick $10.

Stu Jackson

Then it'd be $20 for him to come back and open it!   :D

Once it's closed, take the inlet hose off the Racor and install a new second shutoff valve where you can reach it, open the old one for good and use the new one now and in the future.  many have done this.  I do have one, but never put it in 'cuz I use it as an excuse to clean up the port locker.   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

Do you still have to shut fuel off at the tank (or anywhere) if you have a electric fuel pump?? I am NOT an engine guy, so someone please let me know what's what.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

chuck53

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 18, 2014, 08:20:05 PM
Then it'd be $20 for him to come back and open it!   :D

Once it's closed, take the inlet hose off the Racor and install a new second shutoff valve where you can reach it, open the old one for good and use the new one now and in the future.  many have done this.  I do have one, but never put it in 'cuz I use it as an excuse to clean up the port locker.   :shock:

I boat in the low rent district.  $10 total and the kid will be more than happy.

One of my buddies on a C36 put a second shut off valve on his.

chuck53

Quote from: Noah on May 18, 2014, 10:17:30 PM
Do you still have to shut fuel off at the tank (or anywhere) if you have a electric fuel pump?? I am NOT an engine guy, so someone please let me know what's what.

I had the same thought....why shut it off if the pump isn't running.  I asked a buddy and he thinks it's because of the siphon effect and even though the pump isn't running, the fuel will continue to flow.

Steve W10

How 'bout putting your finger over the end and lifting the hose up to the fuel level and taping it there until you are done?

Shove a golf tee in the end?

I don't remember bothering to shut the valve in the past, but what do I remember anyway.

Steve

chuck53

Quote from: Steve Wormsbecher on May 19, 2014, 08:41:57 AM
How 'bout putting your finger over the end and lifting the hose up to the fuel level and taping it there until you are done?

I don't remember bothering to shut the valve in the past, but what do I remember anyway.

Steve

Assuming the fuel will continue to flow and I have to do something to stop it, if I go this route, I will have to take the hose off the racor.  Sometimes hoses aren't really easy to take off and put back on.  If I turn off the valve, I don't have to worry about disconnecting the hose to plug it or raise it up.

Good thought anyway.  One buddy suggested clamping down on the hose with a pair of vice grips.  Not sure I want to go that route.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on May 18, 2014, 10:17:30 PM

The fuel pump has nothing to do with it.  The tank is HIGHER than the Racor and the engine, so if the fuel SHUTOFF valve is NOT closed, fuel will flow.

Quote from: chuck53 on May 19, 2014, 10:11:03 AM
Quote from: Steve Wormsbecher on May 19, 2014, 08:41:57 AM

Steve

Assuming the fuel will continue to flow and I have to do something to stop it, if I go this route, I will have to take the hose off the Racor.  Sometimes hoses aren't really easy to take off and put back on.  If I turn off the valve, I don't have to worry about disconnecting the hose to plug it or raise it up.

Good thought anyway.  One buddy suggested clamping down on the hose with a pair of vice grips.  Not sure I want to go that route.

Those hoses should be easy to get off.  If not, since you are going to ADD the valve, cutting off an inch or two won't matter.    You can also get a fitting to screw into the port in the Racor and then attach the new second shutoff valve to that.  Look in a a chandlerey.

If you clamp it, don't clamp it directly, you'll damage the outside of the hose.  Get another hose and wrap it around or buy some leather patch material and cover the hose with that before you use the vice grips.

Kevin Henderson

Wow... After all this time I never heard of someone installing a second fuel shut off valve dowenstream from the hard to reach valve under the beckson port. 
I'm Planning to change my Racor in the next couple weeks so I'll have to add that nifty little mod to my task list.

Any pictures of a good mounting location Stu?

It seems I  learn something new everytime i log into this forum   :thumb: :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

chuck53

Thanks Stu.

Yes, I know the tank is higher than the filter, but the hose comes out of the top of the tank, not the bottom, so the fuel has to go uphill before it runs downhill to the filter.  I guess the siphon effect does take over and keeps the fuel flowing even if the pump isn't working.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: chuck53 on May 19, 2014, 11:07:59 AM
Yes, I know the tank is higher than the filter, but the hose comes out of the top of the tank, not the bottom, so the fuel has to go uphill before it runs downhill to the filter.  I guess the siphon effect does take over and keeps the fuel flowing even if the pump isn't working.

Yes, that is a very good description.  Think of it this way:  The very LAST thing you ever want in your fuel delivery system is AIR, 'cuz the engine won't work with air in the system, hence, bleeding.  The fuel line, from the bottom of the tank all the way to the injector pump on the engine, MUST be completely full with fuel ALL THE TIME.  Unless you turn off the shutoff valve, fuel will continue to flow.

Just the opposite is true for the head pump, where there is an anti-siphon valve at the top of the loop to avoid continuous flow.

Ed Shankle

A few years back when I installed a new tank, it didn't include a shutoff valve and my old one was a different size. so I installed a new one closer to the Racor. I think it's a better location because it's faster to get to. I typically shut of my valve when wintering over, or leaving the boat for an extended time, so it's not like the only time I need to shut it off is to do any work on the Racor.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ken Juul

I just use some vicegrips to crimp the hose.  It also a good way to check the condition of the fuel line.  If it cracks, time to replace.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA